Ghana, a relatively peaceful country in the West Africa sub-region currently hosts approximately 13,000 refugees from thirty-six (36) countries across the globe. The Ghana Refugee Board (GRB) was established by PNDC LAW 305 (D) of 1992 with a broad mandate to handle and manage refugee issues, provide care, assistance and protection for all asylum seekers and refugees on the shores of Ghana. GRB is an autonomous agency of the Ministry of the Interior.
The Board is chaired by an official appointed by the President, and composed of representatives from the Ghana Police, Immigration, National Security, Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Education, Gender and Social Welfare, Attorney General and Justice and the National Disaster Management Organization with an observer status for UNHCR representation.
Board functions are performed within the following legal framework: Ghana Refugee Law of 1992; the 1951 UN Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees; the 1969 OAU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa. GRB’s day-to-day affairs are handled by a Secretariat under an Executive Secretary appointed by the President on the advice of the Public Service Commission.
GRB is seeking to recruit suitably motivated and qualified persons for the following positions: Principal Protection Officer Purpose
• To serve as a team lead that will provide technical and operational support in refugee management for the achievement of Board’s objectives. Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads the Protection / Eligibility team and represents the Board at meetings withGovernment, Partners and related agencies.
• Supervises the conduct of the overall refugee status determination preparatory processes including reception, registration, assessment, interviews and related arrangements for providing care, counselling, assistance and protection to Persons of Concern (PoC)
• Reviews all completed assessed PoC cases and presents to the Board for adjudication; responds to queries and enquiries of asylum seekers; and supervises the maintenance and update of all statistical records of registered PoC.
• Coordinates the preparation of unit periodic plans, annual budget, design of standard operation procedures (SoPs), the development of monitoring and evaluation tools.
• Liaises with Partners particularly, the UNHCR for collaborative assistance and support; supervises verification missions; and prepares periodic updates on team activities for presentation and discussions at Board meetings.
• Supervises, evaluates and appraises work performances and results agreements of staff within unit, and ensures the efficient workflow arrangements for the achievement of Board’s objectives Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of a Master’s Degree from an accredited tertiary institution in Migration Studies, Refugee Management, Social Sciences or related field s and discipline.
• A minimum of eight (8) years post-qualification relevant work experience, three (3) years of which must be in a Senior Management position in the public service or a reputable organization.
• Must pass a competitive selection interview conducted by the Board in consultation with the Public Services Commission (PSC). Competencies
• Knowledge and understanding of Public Policy and Administration, local and international Refugee Management protocols, conventions and regulations
• Ability to work with little or no supervision, and delegate
• Ethical leadership and managerial skills
• Performance management, decision-making and problem-solving skills
• Analytical and Statistical skills; and Knowledge in Financial Regulations
• Communication, report writing, presentation, monitoring and evaluation skills
• Computer proficiency Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Please send your CV and statement of purpose to: [email protected]
Only those who meet the criteria above should apply Closing Date:
31 May, 2019