The Governing Council of Accra Technical University announces that the post of Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor of the University is currently vacant and the Council is seeking to identify and recruit a suitably qualified person. ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Accra Technical University is located in the central business district of Accra, the Capital City of Ghana. The University was converted from a Polytechnic to a Technical University in September 2016 by an Act of Parliament establishing Technical Universities in Ghana. The University has been mandated by the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922), to provide higher education in engineering, science and technology-based disciplines, technical and vocational education and training, applied arts and related disciplines.
The University has a staff of about 700 made up of faculty, senior administrative officers and other supporting staff and a student population of about 15,000 made up of full and part time students offering various academic and professional programmes. The Vision of the University is to be a Technical University of global excellence in competency-based and practice-oriented training, applied research and technology transfer. THE POSITION OF THE PRO VICE-CHANCELLOR
• The Pro Vice-Chancellor shall be of Professorial status and shall possess a PhD or its equivalent in Engineering, Applied Sciences or Social Sciences.
• The Pro Vice-Chancellor shall report to the Vice-Chancellor.
• The Pro Vice-Chancellor shall act in the absence of the Vice-Chancellor.
• The Pro Vice-Chancellor shall be the academic head of the University.
• The Pro Vice-Chancellor shall be the liaison between the University and all external academic regulatory bodies.
i. The Pro Vice-Chancellor shall be a non-voting member of the University Governing Council. Terms of Appointment
• The Pro Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed for a period of three (3) years. The appointment may be renewed, upon application for a further term of up to three (3) years only if that is not beyond the statutory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
• The terms and conditions of the appointment shall be determined by the Governing Council of the University consistent with the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922) and Statutes of Accra Technical University.
• The salary and Conditions of Service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those in analogous universities in Ghana. Qualification Required & Experience The Person:
• Must have a wide experience in academic management at the tertiary level, including conduct of University Examinations, Quality Assurance and liaison with Universities’ regulatory bodies.
• Must be of unblemished character and have a high degree of personal integrity, be circumspect and above reproach.
• Must be a distinguished and internationally acclaimed scholar with a strong research background.
• Must have proven organizational and leadership skills.
• Must possess excellent inter-personal and communication skills, be a team player and have the capacity to manage and control crisis.
• Must be visionary, business-oriented and able to establish rapport between industry and the University for beneficial purposes.
• Must have the experience in fund -raising and resource mobilization for teaching, research and community services.
• Must have at least twelve (12) years post qualification working experience in a tertiary or analogous institution; a senior academic position is an added advantage. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
• Candidates are to submit a sealed application letter and completed Application forms obtained from the Registry of the University or download and print a copy from the University’s website at www.atu.edu.gh
• Applicants are to attach Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities of the applicant.
• Applicants are to include a short statement of not more than four pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining their vision and strategies for implementation.
• Applications must be hand delivered in a sealed envelope to the Registry of the University and signed for or submitted using a registered electronic mail to reach the address below (as applicable) not later than 24th July, 2020. The Chairman Search Committee for Pro Vice-Chancellor c/o Office of the Registrar Accra Technical University P. O. Box 561 Accra
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected] Closing Date:
24 August, 2020
Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted