Objectives of the Ghana Academy
The Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences (GAAS) was established by an Act of Parliament in 1959, to encourage the creation, acquisition, dissemination, and utilization of knowledge for national development. It is made up of Fellows who have distinguished themselves in the Arts and Sciences and is led by a Council consisting of a President, Vice-Presidents, an Honorary Secretary and other elected members.
The Academy’s work is administered through a Secretariat consisting of the Executive Secretary and other administrative, secretarial and clerical staff. The Executive Secretary is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Academy under the Honorary Secretary, and drives the strategic plan and other policy directives under the general guidance of the Council.
Procurement Officer - Senior Assistant Registrar
Under the Executive Secretary, the Procurement Officer oversees purchasing activities and ensures that purchasing items are both cost-effective and of high quality. He/she evaluates suppliers, products and services, negotiates contracts, maintains positive supplier relations and ensures that purchases are cost-effective and of high quality.
Scope of Work
• Prepare annual procurement plan, embodying a detailed list of anticipated purchases and regularly updates the plan;
• Prepare tender for goods, works and services within the approved threshold;
• Keep suppliers’ database register;
• Prepare request for proposals and advertisements for consultancy services;
• Undertake bid opening and evaluate submissions for goods, works and services;
• Monitor the procurement processes of projects to ensure conformity with the established procedures;
• Prepare quarterly procurement status report;
• Serve as Secretary to the Academy's Entity Tender Committee; and
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Honorary Secretary or the Executive Secretary.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Candidates should hold a good first degree and a Master's degree in supply chain management, business administration, purchasing management or a related field of study.
• Candidates should have at least five (5) years post-qualification experience in procurement.
• Should have an analytical mind and keep up with product and service trends;
• Possess a strong understanding of local and global market trends, procurement strategies organisational objectives and supplier capabilities to ensure success;
• Communicate the value of strategic sourcing and procurement to key suppliers and develop and maintain relationships with suppliers;
• Evaluate existing procurement policies and procedures and update them when necessary;
• Work with key procurement software and systems;
• Must have strong negotiation skills; and
• Must be computer literate.
Performance-based promotion or until the incumbent reaches the compulsory retirement age of 60 years.
The salary attached to the position is equivalent to that of a Senior Assistant Registrar in a public university in Ghana.
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants are required to submit the complete application pack addressed to the Search Committee, Ghana Academy, through email address:
Hard copy applications should also be submitted to the Search Committee at the physical address already indicated.
The application pack whether electronic or hard copy should contain the following:
• Application letter;
• An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae;
• Copies of relevant academic and/or professional certificates; and
• For the positions of Executive Secretary and Procurement Officer, a statement of about 2,500 words indicating how the applicants intend to promote the strategic plan of the Academy.
30 June, 2023
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.