The West African Health Organization (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) charged with leadership and coordination of health improvement programs across the ECOWAS region. WAHO is seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the underlisted vacant position: Program Officer, Pharmacy & Allied Health Role Overview
• Under the supervision of the Principal Programme Officer Human Resource in Health, the incumbent shall update course modules as well as lead the development and standardisation of training (basic and post-basic); within the region.
• S/he shall advocate for the development of Pharmacy and Allied Health Profession as well as develop the harmonised drug regulation policy. • S/he shall collaborate with the West African Postgraduate College of Pharmacists (WAPCP) in identifying suitably trained pharmacists, allied health professionals; and drug quality
• S/he shall be responsible for the production of a regular journal, Role and Responsibilities The incumbent will:
• Organise workshops, seminars, and update courses for pharmacists and allied health professionals in the ECOWAS region.
• Maintain a directory and interact with pharmacy and allied health schools and related institutions.
• Identify appropriate training institutions for post-basic and specialist pharmacy and allied health training.
• Take a lead role in the development of curriculum for training pharmacists and allied health professionals.
• Develop a harmonised drug regulation policy for the sub-region.
• Publish suitable educational materials e.g. journals, modules etc. for the continuing education of pharmacists and allied health professional.
• Identity and maintain records of suitably trained pharmacist and allied health professionals for any Technical Assistance Programme to Member States.
• Develop of a drug policy for the sub-region.
• Collaborate closely with the West African Postgraduate Colleges to ensure their progressive development and expansion.
• Collaborate closely with ECOWAS member states and other relevant International Organisations and Partners in the development of human resources in pharmacy and allied health.
• Collaborate with appropriate regional Institutions and Organisations to ensure progressive development of the structures necessary for the maintenance of standards of training and practice of the Allied Health Professions and pharmacists in the region.
• Monitor and evaluate the training programme of institutions training pharmacists and allied health professionals. Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Pharmacy or Nursing or Medical Science or any of the Allied Health Sciences from a recognised university. Experience:
• At least 5 to 7 years of progressive responsible experience in the implementation of healthcare JOB DESCRIPTION JOB CODE: programs;
• Knowledge of quality assurance standards in the ECOWAS region and Non Communicable Diseases strategy;
• Ability to manage relationship with partner organizations, Ministries of Health and other relevant regulatory bodies to foster solid cooperation. ECOWAS Key Competencies
• ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
• ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
• ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
• ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
• ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
• ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance;
• contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants are advised to download the Job Application Form (click below on “Job Application Form”). All applications must be sent electronically to the email address: [email protected]
Each application must include:
• A Completed Job Application Form (click here)
• A Cover Letter of not more than one page on the motivation for the post
• A signed up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
• A certified copy of Birth Certificate GENERAL CONDITIONS
Candidates must be ECOWAS citizens and must not be more than 50 years of age at the time of recruitment (the age criteria does not apply to internal candidates). Submitted Documents will not be returned; and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing Date:
09 April, 2022