Tzedek International Development Foundation (TIDF)
NGO / International Agencies
Job Vacancy For Programme Manager
In the spring of 1990 a group of UK Jewish activists proposed a series of open seminars on global issues to be held under the name Tzedek (justice). These seminars set the tone for the organisation – rooted in Jewish values and seriously engaging with the reality of development work with all its complexities.
For the past 25 years Tzedek has been working within countries across the world as part of the wider global effort to reduce extreme poverty. During this period, Tzedek has always maintained a special focus on Ghana. In Ghana, working with both local and national partner NGOs, Tzedek has contributed to the social and economic development of dozens of communities. Tzedek’s current strategy states that we will:
• Work with communities in Northern Ghana to enable young people to stay in school, achieve meaningful learning outcomes and gain the skills and confidence they need for productive and secure employment.
• Play a significant part in the sustainable alleviation of extreme poverty, building the capabilities, opportunities and prosperity of families and communities in targeted regions of Ghana and India; and
• Inspire the UK Jewish community to donate, fundraise and volunteer.
Tzedek’s work in Northern Ghana has seen the organisation’s work refocus on targeting the most impoverished communities. Moving towards an approach which seeks to promote community development using a grass-roots approach, specifically targeting community-identified challenges, especially in the fields of education and livelihoods. To facilitate this work and give us greater flexibility Tzedek has registered a Ghanaian NGO Tzedek International Development Foundation as a wholly owned subsidiary of Tzedek (UK)
Tzedek’s work in Northern Ghana thus comprises three main activities:
• Direct funding of partner NGOs in Ghana
• Direct development work through our-registered NGO, TIDF (Ghana)
• Creating and supporting ethical and sustainable volunteer opportunities for UK volunteers in Ghana.
Currently small in scale, Tzedek and TIDF have plans to grow rapidly in the next three years and are recruiting a small and vibrant new team who believe deeply in the values of international development to work together to deliver these aspirations.
Job Title: Programme Manager, Tzedek International Development Foundation (TIDF)
Reports to: Ghana Country Director
Location: Tamale, Ghana
Commencement: February 2019
Salary: Competitive for suitably qualified candidates
Line Manages: Field Officer, admin staff and security staff as appointed
The Programme Manager will be the lead officer responsible for delivery of all the development programmes undertaken by Tzedek and TIDF in Ghana. They will manage the office and systems required to deliver the functions of TIDF and supervise field and administrative staff as and when they are appointed. They will be responsible for budgeting and reporting as well as administration of the NGO. They will be responsible for providing Tzedek (UK) with photos and stories for fundraising in the UK.The position will be based in Tamale, Northern Region.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Programme Manager will work closely with the Ghana Country Director
• To further refine a locally-relevant strategic development plan which will connect the assets which Tzedek has to contribute (both funding and also expertise) to those organisations and those communities which stand to benefit the most from them.
• To uphold and maintain the values, ethics and culture of the organisation as practised through the way in which the day to day work is carried out; partnerships are formed and maintained; and, critically, in keeping local communities at the forefront of the organisation’s priorities.
• To facilitate Tzedek’s locally registered NGO, TIDF to become fully established. This will include establishing locally relevant systems and procedures for the effective operation of the NGO.
• To support partners delivering existing programmes especially in the areas of financial accountability, monitoring and evaluation. They will assist with the identification of new partners and projects and support new partners through the application process.
• To assist withTzedek’s programmes with logistical support and guidance for providing a conducive and safe atmosphere for Ghanaian community members and UK volunteers.
• To identify potential new funding sources and to maintain good relations with our existing funders.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Degree in International Development, Social Sciences, Education, Community Engagement or related field;
• At least 5 years’ experience working at a Programme Manager or Senior Project Officer level
• At least 3 years’ experience as a Project or Field Officer
• Team leadership experience
• Experience of capacity building
• Experience of new project development.
• Monitoring and evaluation experience
• Knowledge and experience of financial management and accounting
• Strong sense of initiative and self-directed approach to working
• Strong understanding of international development and best practice
• Excellent organisational skills
• Meticulous attitude to time recording and expenses
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills
• Excellent written and spoken English language skills
• Competency in speaking Dagbani
• High level of competency in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word and Excel
• Driving licence for motorbikes and vehicles
• Willingness to learn about basic tenets of Jewish Religion, Culture and Ethics
• Master’s degree or Post-Graduate Diploma in a relevant subject
• Experience in a management role for an international development organisation
• Human Resource Management experience
• Administration of a Ghanaian NGO
• Experience as an educator in schools, teaching college or in education programmes
• Experience with youth empowerment projects and programmes
• Experience in delivering livelihood projects and programmes
• Fluency in Dagbani and other Northern Region languages
• Demonstrable success in grant and in proposal writing
• Knowledge and experience in Participatory Rural Appraisal techniques
• Competency in other software applications including statistical packages
• Children and Vulnerable Adults Safeguarding and Protection Training
This position is only opened to Ghanaian Nationals
In accordance with our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policies successful applicants will be subject to a criminal record check and other background checks.
How to Apply For the Job
• Ghanaian National applicants who meet the required skills and experience should email their CV, and covering letter not exceeding one page to:
Closing Date: 04 January, 2019
• Closing date for applications is midday on Friday 4th January 2019
• Due to the anticipated large number of applications, only applicants who meet the required experience and qualifications for this position will be shortlisted and subsequently contacted for interview.
• The interviews will be held in Tamale at the end of January/early February.