The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA) is seeking a vibrant, creative and experienced candidate for the position of a Project Officer under its Media and Good Governance Programme. The MFWA is implementing a project aimed at enhancing citizens’ access to information and participation in local governance in selected districts in Ghana. The project also seeks to increase the local authorities’ responsiveness to local development issues/concerns raised by citizens.
The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA) is a regional independent non-governmental organization. It is the biggest and most influential media development and freedom of expression advocacy organisation in West Africa with national partner organisations in all the 16 countries of the region. The MFWA is also the Secretariat of the continental network of the most prominent free expression and media development organisations in Africa, known as the Africa Freedom of Expression Exchange (AFEX) Network.
Responsibilities of the Project Officer
The ideal candidate must have an appreciable knowledge of the media and governance (especially local governance) landscape in Ghana. The candidate should be passionate about promoting citizens’ access to information, governance, democracy and sustainable development in Ghana. The candidate must have fair knowledge of local governance/local development issues; be experienced in project implementation, management, report writing, community engagement; financial reporting and project monitoring. The Project Officer will be based in Tamale, Northern Region of Ghana.
The key responsibilities of the candidate shall include:
• Planning and implementing projects related to media and governance;
• Planning and implementing approved projects focusing on promoting Citizens’ Participation in local governance in Ghana;
• Proposing and developing project ideas and concept notes;
• Writing quality reports on key issues of development, trends in media and governance, access to information, etc;
• Supporting administrative work at the Tamale Office.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in governance, communications, media studies, social science or a related field.
• At least two (2) years experience in project management, project monitoring or research, community engagement. An experience in working in the Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) sector will be an added advantage.
• Hardworking and result-oriented
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently with high degree of responsibility and with little supervision
• Good team player
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a cover letter and CV with contact information of at least two references to the email:
with the subject “Application for Project Officer”
30 August, 2019