Under the supervision of the Chief of Section (SCS), the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
• Provide support and input to the officers and project/programme staff on administrative and procedural issues related to programme/project and budget formulation and oversight, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
• Help track peacekeeping and related issues in the press by maintaining a daily digest of news clips using a wide range of open source media.
• Serve as Focal Point with key communications stakeholders, e.g. Desk Officers, Spokesperson’s Office, UN Communications group, to coordinate media responses, provision of substantive input for press statements, etc.
• Assists with development of social media communications products and content across multiple platforms ensuring accurate and consistent messaging and branding and alignment with the communications strategy.
• Ensure the provision of logistical support for project/programme delivery.
• Assist the Chief of Section in the coordination, management, implementation and follow-up of projects and office activities.
• Assist in developing advocacy and communication strategies that increase awareness on the added value of UN Peacekeeping among UN and non-UN counterparts
• Prepare special coverage reports/summaries on specific issues as needed.
• Assist in the implementation of outreach and visibility activities for UN Peacekeeping, including preparing publicity materials, inputs for publications and other visibility materials.
• Assist in overseeing maintenance of the UN Peacekeeping website.
• Coordinate media responses, provision of substantive input for press statements, etc.
• Attend interviews, draft talking points and briefing papers, help facilitate media contacts and requests.
• Organise or participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, etc.
• Prepare briefing materials for DPKO/DFS officials prior to these events, prepare notes of meetings.
• Providing substantive support to the preparation and execution of meetings.
• Organize the clearance, production and distribution of informational materials.
• Undertake and manage projects and communication campaigns in support of peacekeeping issues as needed.
• Oversee the work of the support staff and interns.
• Establish working partnerships with a diverse range of actors and stakeholders.
• Broker and support media related activities, press appearances and interviews.
• Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area, including experience at the international level.
• Supervisory experience and experience in at least one peacekeeping mission is desirable.
• Technological fluency with social media and all standard digital communication applications, including web management programs is desirable.
• Strong communication and analytical skills and ability to rapidly process and integrate diverse information from various sources.
• Proven ability in news gathering, writing and editing to very tight deadlines.
• Thorough knowledge of peacekeeping issues and keen awareness of political sensitivities of inter governmental processes, understanding of, and experience in, dealing with the media.
• Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of peace operations.
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
• Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience.
• Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
• Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
• Identifies priority activities and assignments.
• Adjusts priorities as required.
• Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
• Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
• Uses time efficiently.
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Click Here To Apply Online
30 June, 2019