• In August 2013, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation awarded funding to Jhpiego to serve as a technical partner to Project Fives Alive! (PFA) in Ghana. The goal of PFA is to reduce child mortality by implementing quality improvement approaches aimed at the performance of frontline health workers.
• Jhpiego’s role, through the Accelerating Newborn Survival (ANS) project, is to support the Ghana Health Service (GHS) to improve the technical competency of health workers who provide essential maternal and newborn care, with the ultimate aim of reducing newborn mortality and fresh stillbirths in 56 health facilities in four regions (Upper West, Central, Western and Greater Accra). To do this, Jhpiego is implementing its innovative low-dose high-frequency (LDHF) training approach, which splits the traditional, two-week hotel-based basic emergency obstetric and newborn care training package into shorter, facility-based trainings. Master mentors are selected from each region and serve as trainers and mentors for other midwives throughout their respective regions. A peer practice coordinator leads and delivers smaller practice sessions following the training on-site with their colleagues in the maternity and newborn wards.
• The ANS project is now in its 2nd year of implementation. The project is planning qualitative research to provide insight into the successes and challenges experienced thus far. Interviews and focus group discussions will be conducted with project beneficiaries and Ghana Health Service decision-makers. Position Summary
Jhpiego seeks two temporary consultants to serve in the role of qualitative researchers. The consultancy will be for a period of approximately 1 month, full-time. The consultant will assist with a variety of activities for the qualitative field work including:
• Recruiting, screening, and consenting health providers at selected health facilities for in-depth interviews and focus groups discussions
• Recruiting, screening, and consenting GHS leadership from selected health facilities and regional management teams for in-depth interviews
• Conducting in-depth interviews and focus group discussions
• Transcribing in-depth interviews and focus group discussions
This position is temporary and will be based in Accra but will require extensive travel throughout Western, Central, and Upper West Regions. Responsibilities
The Researcher will work closely with both international and local study investigators and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
• Work with the Local Principal Investigator (PI) to recruit selected providers into the study, ensuring adherence to selection protocols and criteria.
• Screen participants for eligibility and ensure informed consent process is thoroughly conducted for all participants.
• Conduct in-depth interviews and focus group discussions with clinic staff, using recorders and taking detailed field notes
• Handle environmental conditions, and respond to unexpected interruptions
• Ensure participants feel comfortable and safe, and that their confidentiality is protected
• Have a good understanding of the subject matter for discussion
• Assist in organizing the interviews, i.e. logistics planning, identify locations, advance contact with participants etc.
• Debrief with team after interviews
• Provide suggestions for improving guides and interviewing techniques
• Completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner
• Keep PI updated on interview progress and any issues that arise
• Transcribe all recordings using approved style guide
• Proof read to correct spelling mistakes and grammar in English
• Accurately transcribe tone and gestures so that meaning remains the same when transcribed
• Adhere to strict deadlines
• Protect the confidentiality of material as required Qualification Required & Experience Required:
• Master of Philosophy or PhD in Social Sciences or related field of discipline is required
• At least 3 years of experience conducting qualitative research interviews and focus group discussions
• At least 3 years of experience transcribing interviews and/or focus group discussions
• Excellent command of English and Twi languages
• Excellent verbal communication in English and Twi
• Ability to work independently and follow study protocols without direct supervision
• Willingness to travel within the regions noted above for up to X days at a time
• Ability to effectively guide the interviews and discussions
• Comfortable with interviewing individuals who are professionals
• Excellent listening skills and ability to understand and grasp various expressions, idioms and specific vocabulary and their uses
• Computer literacy with proficiency in MS Word and excellent typing skills Preferred:
• Previous experience working with health providers and/or in a clinical setting
• Previous experience working with government leadership Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested and qualified candidates to submit cover letter and CV by 5pm Monday 11 January, 2016 to [email protected] Closing Date:
12 February, 2016
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.