Organizational Unit: UNU World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics research and training centre located in Helsinki, Finland. The Institute uses approaches and methodologies from economics and other sciences to conduct research oriented to key development issues and policy challenges affecting the developing world. UNU-WIDER aims to stimulate international policy research, provide an effective global research network, and deliver impact, quality, and opportunities. UNU-WIDER’s audiences include national and international policymakers, bilateral and multilateral development organizations; and development researchers, especially in the developing world. UNU-WIDER strives for excellence in all activities, and the Institute was ranked 6th international development think tank in the 2012 Global Go-To Think Tanks Report.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to support the research and training programme of the Institute. For more information on UNU-WIDER and its work programme, please visit www.wider.unu.edu Responsibilities Under the supervision of the Director, the Research Fellow will:
• Carry out teaching, training and supervision within the capacity building programme of the Institute, including guidance of junior researchers and PhD students;
• Draft research and management reports;
• Assist in preparing and implementing conference, communications and meeting activities vis-à-vis UNU-WIDER’s target audiences;
• Contribute effectively to the Institute’s research programme, and the publication of research outputs;
• Manage research projects with external researchers and participants;
• Participate in local and international research, policy and outreach events;
• Prepare presentations and speeches for specialist and non-specialist audiences;
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director. Qualification Required & Experience
• PhD in Economics, Development Economics, Political Science or a related Social Science field;
• A minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively relevant professional work experience, including the management of research and training programmes;
• Demonstrated ability to carry out and manage development research activities in an international environment;
• A proven track record of academic and policy publications;
• Good knowledge of the international research and policy agenda in areas related to the Institute’s research programme;
• Teaching and research supervision experience;
• Excellent communications and drafting skills, with fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset;
• Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Remuneration
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at P-3/P-4 level and allowances including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common Systems, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant, removal expenses and home leave. For more information, please visit www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using the following link: http://www1.wider.unu.edu/crm/forms/research-fellow-p-3-p-4-ghana Be sure to upload the following:
• a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
• a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11)
form. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations; and
• a list of publications. Closing Date:
31 July, 2013 Duration of contract
This is a full time fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for a period of two (2) years with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of fixed-term appointments not exceeding six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 62 years.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates and those from developing countries are particularly encouraged.