) is an International Public Non-Profit Organization striving to improve the livelihood of people in developing countries throughout the world. Its mission is to facilitate the sustainable improvement of agricultural productivity through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound plant nutrient technology and agricultural marketing. Feed the Future USAID Agriculture Technology Transfer (FtF USAID ATT)
The Feed the Future USAID Agriculture Technology Transfer Project (ATT Project) will address Ghana’s complex value chain issues, focusing on using technologies to improve the seed sector, and will identify sustainable solutions leading to increased competitiveness in the rice, soybean and maize value chains. The expected outcome is an increased availability and use of agricultural inputs and technologies to increase and sustain agricultural productivity in Northern Ghana. The project requires the services of seed value chain and Platform advisor to support its operations and IFDC seeks to hire full-time one to be stationed in the Tamale office. Position summary The ‘Seed Value-Chain and Platform Advisor’ is responsible for:
• Providing support to emerging seed companies, and following up on capacity and investment needs.
• Making informed decisions on the effective demand for the different seed classes (breeder, basic and certified) and related contributions to the biannual Northern Regions Seed Stakeholder Meeting.
• Facilitating potential public-private partnership activities supported by the Agricultural Technology Transfer project.
S/he will be the knowledge broker and facilitator to initiate the multi-stakeholder dialogue to increase the seed chain coordination, support the transformation of seed producers into seed companies, and create strong market linkages and improve the collaboration between public and private sector stakeholders in the seed sector. Under the supervision of ATT’s Senior Seed Business Advisor, the Seed Value-chain and Platform Advisor will:
• Coordinate the seed value-chain and effective seed demand bi-annual assessments for ATT target crops that include required quantities of breeder, basic and certified seed; varieties in demand; and seed quality challenges;
• In collaboration with the Agricultural Policy Support Project (FTF-APSP) contribute to and facilitate the Northern Ghana Seed Sector Stakeholder meetings, including preparations, organization and follow-up on agreed actions that address the systemic bottlenecks e.g. quality assurance, variety release, seed chain coordination, public-private partnerships for development and (exclusive) use of newly released varieties, and marketing issues (fake seeds, labeling);
• Present ATT results, activities and grant opportunities to a wider audience and solicit ideas for filling the gaps in the seed chain (in terms of production, processing and marketing);
• Coordinate the priority implementation issues and opportunities that spring from the Seed Law, Seed Regulations and National Seed Plan
• Work closely with consortium partners (IFDC, CDI, ISU, GAABIC and other local public institutions and private businesses) while they implement activities in the country;
• Assist the Senior Seed Business Advisor in developing work plans for organizing development activities, budgets and project-specific plans;
• Ensure all project indicator targets and deliverables are being achieved regarding the seed sector development component of ATT;
• Work together with other IFDC projects/initiatives to leverage impact in the project region. Supervision
The ‘Seed value chain and platform advisor’ position will report directly to the Senior Seed Business Advisor. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this anticipated position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Duty Location
The ‘Seed Value-chain and Platform Advisor’ will be based in Tamale and should be available to travel within the country when necessary, especially throughout the Northern three regions. Qualification Required & Experience
• Ghana national;
• An MSc degree in a relevant field of sciences such as crop science, agronomy, agribusiness development and other degrees of agricultural orientation, and/or development or business orientation with hands-on agricultural experience and knowledge;
• A minimum of four years of work experience in agricultural projects in Ghana;
• Experience in private sector development and facilitation of public private partnerships;
• Ability to design and facilitate multi-stakeholder processes and institutional innovation processes;
• Affinity with capacity strengthening and facilitation of trainings;
• High level of communication and writing skills and sensitivity towards cultural differences;
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of products and
• Excellent English language skills (written and verbal). Location:
Tamale How To Apply For The Job
Please read these carefully. Failure to comply will adversely affect your application. Qualified and interested candidates are kindly requested to send electronically their applications in the form of a letter of a one page letter and current CV describing their experience, qualifications and three reference contacts by email.
Emails should be sent to [email protected]
and [email protected] Closing Date:
21 August, 2015
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No telephone studies will be responded to.