Senior Communication Specialist Status:
Full Time Reports directly to:
Director of the WA BiCC Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) Unit on Technical implementation issues and Director of Global Programs (PCI-Media Impact, NY) for strategic communications guidance and administrative matters. Office:
Accra, Ghana Project Background:
USAID/West Africa’s Biodiversity and Climate Change (WA-BiCC) program aims to build regional and national institutional capacity to strengthen the enabling environment throughout West Africa to combat wildlife trafficking; improve coastal resilience; and reduce deforestation, degradation, and biodiversity loss in key forests.
Tetra Tech ARD is the lead implementer responsible for delivery of the technical requirements of WA- BiCC. ARD is partnering with PCI Media Impact and other technical partners to enhance incentives for behavior change. In order to achieve this, PCI Media Impact has been contracted to provide technical expertise to the WA BiCC Program to develop an innovative Communication for Development (C4D) strategy, which employs strategic program communications and Education-Entertainment (Behavior Change Communications) delivered to target audiences across the region. The overall C4D strategy will be developed with the WA BiCC team and in close consultation with core regional partners ECOWAS, the Mano River Union, and the Abidjan Convention, other implementing partners (in addition to PCI this includes Pact, dTS and Wetlands International Africa). The C4D strategy will be adaptable in scale and reach, ranging from local communications on the landscape (particularly those receiving direct WA BiCC support) and community levels, to government agencies, civil society institutions and NGOs on the national and sub-regional level, regional organizations, USAID, donors and global audiences in order to ensure that the WA BiCC C4D approach helps those organizations effectively execute their mandates and reach the diverse audiences critical to the successful achievement of WA BiCC outcomes.
In addition, PCI Media Impact will provide assistance to WA BiCC for its internal and external program communications such as production and dissemination of: technical reports, progress reports, technical briefs, social media, development of the program website, etc.
PCI Media Impact has been sub-contracted to Tetra Tech as an implementing partner for WA BiCC. PCI Media Impact has empowered communities worldwide to inspire positive social and environmental change through storytelling and creative communications. We are a leader in the communication for development field, with a particular expertise in Entertainment-Education.
For 30 years, PCI Media Impact has worked with a range of partners to advance the well-being of vulnerable populations by improving knowledge, shifting attitudes, and changing behaviors with regards to critical social and environmental issues. PCI Media Impact is committed to three interconnected themes – Health, Empowerment and Environment – addressing a wide variety of issues including: natural resource management, sustainable development, women’s and youth empowerment and education family planning, human trafficking and others. Together with partners around the world, we have produced more than 5,000 episodes of 100 television and radio productions, reaching more than one billion people in over 45 countries. The Senior Communication Specialist Job Summary
• The Senior Communications Specialist is part of the CLA team (Accra and Freetown) and will work with the technical thematic teams based in Accra and Freetown in the implementation. S/he will supervise the Accra- base Communications Officer and the Freetown-based Communications Specialist based on agreed priorities established with the Director of the Collaborating, Learning and Adaptation Unit and the Chief of Party as needed.
• The Senior Communication Specialist will be responsible to lead the design, management and implementation of the two pillars of the communication strategy - C4D (behavior change communications such as radio dramas) and Strategic Program Communications (quarterly reporting, success stories, web presence, standard branding and communication tools, etc.) for the WA BiCC program. The Senior Communictions Specialist will work with the Communications Team to foster partnerships with a broad spectrum of partners and stakeholders from the grassroots community level, governmental, inter-governmental institutions and private sector entities such as radio and television stations. The Senior Communication Specialist will play a key role in working with the Capacity Building team to increase the effective capacity of core regional partner and others to more effectively communicate with their constituencies, and with WA BiCC to effectively communicate the knowledge generated during implementation. Examples of this include, but are not limited to, leading media relationships, developing PR activities, producing external and internal communication materials and writing for internal and programmatic purposes. Primary Responsibilities
• In coordination with the WA BiCC team:
o Produce a cohesive and comprehensive communications strategy that supports the goals and objectives of the WA BiCC program and its partners
o Identify and/or develop and/or manage partnerships with public or private entities to assist WA BiCC effectively communicate and disseminate core messages and lessons learned as articulated in the communication strategy
o Ensure the overall delivery, design, management and ongoing adaptation of the 2 pillars of the regional communications strategy (C4D and strategic program communications) by maximizing the comparative skill areas of the Communications Officers, ensuring that the appropriate messages and media reach each target audience across multiple platforms
o Ensure the timely delivery of all communication assets, including new and traditional media targeting multiple audiences and across multiple platforms as identified with activity focal points
o Undertake communication/outreach activities as needed, including event planning and management, publicity, engaging with stakeholders on traditional and social media
o Assume leadership in dealing with programmatic (contractual) reporting requirements in close coordination with the CLA Unit, M&E Specialist, technical leads, DCOP and COP
o work with the M&E Specialist and Accra and Freetown-based teams to clearly identify and support delivery of the specific contributions that the Communications Team will provide to ensure the requirements of the WA BiCC Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
• Attend weekly meetings of the WA BiCC teams in Accra and Freetown and Skype meetings with the PCI Media Impact team as needed
• Participate in weekly check-ins with the PCI Media Impact Director of Global Programs
• Undertake regional West Arica travel as required to fulfil the needs of this position in coordination with the technical line supervisor and COP
• Provide quarterly report updates to PCI Media Impact NY team that conform to the reporting requirements of WA BiCC
• Track budget flows and ensure fiscal responsibility and accountability against PCI Media Impact budget lines
• Additional tasks may be assigned from time to time. Qualification Required & Experience
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
• Fluency in spoken and written English and French.
• Education and/or experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in communication for development (C4D), international development, journalism, Entertainment-Education, social marketing or a field relevant to media/communication and development.
• Strong understanding of issues impacting developing countries, particularly around, biodiversity conservation, climate change, natural resource management, sustainable livelihoods, water and sanitation, and sustainable development.
• Minimum of 5 years of work experience in international development or conservation, communication for social change, journalism, public relations, with at least 2 years project management experience.
• Experience using communication strategies and tools to advance local, regional and international program objectives, including media relations, web/mobile/social media, print and events.
• Experience developing and successfully implementing a complex communication strategy, particularly for a new or growing program.
• Experience implementing international/multi-country communication efforts and adapting communication strategies for a variety of international audiences and media markets.
• Ability to work and communicate with a range of stakeholders including policymakers and government officials, NGOs, the media, community representatives.
• Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills in English and French and in a variety of formats (i.e. web, print publications, briefing papers, press releases).
• Ability to thrive in team environments, with a strong understanding of diversity and other cultures.
• Immediately available to work in Ghana; able to travel without restrictions to other countries part of the program across West Africa. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
To Apply - Please email your detailed resume and cover letter in one document to: [email protected]
- Please include “Accra Senior Communication Specialist” in the subject of your email. Closing Date:
30 December, 2015