• The Senior Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Officer is responsible for developing and overseeing environmental, social and corporate governance policies and procedures, as well as reviewing and appraising proposed underwriting transactions to be socially and environmentally sustainable and comply with ATI safeguarding policies and internationally recognized best practices.
• The role works with underwriters and clients to define steps necessary to address compliance gaps where they arise from policy and identifies opportunities to add value proactively, beyond compliance and risk mitigation, and contribute to long-term developmental impact and sustainability within Africa.
• The ESG Officer formulates recommendations and requirements for client action and incorporates these into applicable internal and client-related documentation to facilitate underwriting or financing.
• The role is responsible for monitoring the environmental, social and governance performance of deals in the ATI portfolio.
• The Senior Environmental, Social and Governance Officer reports to the Chief Risk Officer within the Risk Department and works closely with external stakeholders to achieve the policy goals of ATI in regards to ESG best practice and standards.
Main Functions and Responsibilities
• Provide technical expertise on key issues related to environmental and social impact assessment and on sustainability risks in the design, preparation, implementation and supervision of ATI’s operations taking into consideration best industry practices and standards
• Manage and conduct environmental and social safeguarding due diligence for underwriting
• Identify all key potential social and environmental impacts and risks of transactions and ensure that their magnitude and significance are well understood by internal underwriters and approvers
• Ensure that the policyholder understands the applicable ESG policies, guidelines and project-specific requirements, and has the necessary commitment and capacity to manage social and environmental impacts and/or risks adequately and supported by mechanisms that facilitate implementation
• Work with member countries, donors and other relevant units of the ATI to mobilize technical and financial support to enhance the environmental and social sustainability of operations, adding value to operations, including through external expertise where deemed necessary
• Conduct consultations with stakeholders in accordance with relevant policies and guidelines and be responsible for reporting on such
• Report on and disseminate good practices and generated knowledge.
Qualification Required & Experience
• An advanced degree (at least Masters or equivalent) in engineering, environmental management, environmental sciences or relevant field.
• At least 6 – 8 years of relevant experience in working with private sector firms across industry sectors (including infrastructure, agribusiness, and/or manufacturing) to identify environmental/social risk and issues and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
• Exposure to African and global development institutions and their operational practice will be a desired attribute.
• Oral and written professional proficiency in English; in addition French is desirable.
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit the following to:
An Application Letter (cover letter)
CV (to include details of your current remuneration package and details of three referees)
3. Personal History Form
11 July, 2020