Ghana, a relatively peaceful country in the West Africa sub-region currently hosts approximately 13,000 refugees from thirty-six (36) countries across the globe. The Ghana Refugee Board (GRB) was established by PNDC LAW 305 (D) of 1992 with a broad mandate to handle and manage refugee issues, provide care, assistance and protection for all asylum seekers and refugees on the shores of Ghana. GRB is an autonomous agency of the Ministry of the Interior.
The Board is chaired by an official appointed by the President, and composed of representatives from the Ghana Police, Immigration, National Security, Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Education, Gender and Social Welfare, Attorney General and Justice and the National Disaster Management Organization with an observer status for UNHCR representation.
Board functions are performed within the following legal framework: Ghana Refugee Law of 1992; the 1951 UN Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees; the 1969 OAU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa. GRB’s day-to-day affairs are handled by a Secretariat under an Executive Secretary appointed by the President on the advice of the Public Service Commission.
GRB is seeking to recruit suitably motivated and qualified persons for the following positions: Senior Protection / Eligibility Officer Purpose
• To provide technical and operational support in refugee management for the achievement of Board’s objectives and mandate Duties and Responsibilities
• Coordinates the conduct of refugee status determination interviews
• Counsels refugees and asylum seekers on protection
• Responds to queries and enquiries of asylum seekers
• Coordinates the proper maintenance and update of Refugee Status Declaration related statistical records and files
• Participates in visits to refugees in prisons and camps
• Conducts research into refugee related issues in the country
• Drafts periodic plans and annual budgets for consideration and approval
• Develops programs for the training of refugees.
• Drafts monitoring tools and programs for monitoring activities
• Conducts monitoring and evaluation of plans and activities of the Division
• Drafts periodic reports on activities and programs of the Division
• Supervises and appraises the performance of subordinate staff of the Division.
• Manages the performance of subordinate staff in the Division Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of a Master’s Degree from an accredited tertiary institution in Migration Studies, Refugee Management, Social Sciences or other relevant equivalent disciplines.
• A minimum of four (4) years post-qualification relevant work experience in the public service or reputable organization
• Must pass a competitive selection interview conducted by the Board in collaboration with the Public Services Commission. Competencies
• Knowledge in the local and international refugee regulations and conventions
• Research, Statistical and Analytical skills
• Administrative skills e.g. Report and minutes writing skills
• Ability to develop good responses to correspondence
• Proposal writing skills
• Advanced computer literacy skills
• Programs development skills
• Monitoring and evaluation skills
• Basic supervisory skills Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Please send your CV and statement of purpose to: [email protected]
Only those who meet the criteria above should apply Closing Date:
31 May, 2019