Regional integration and cooperation are vital for Africa’s development. Africa’s multiple small countries and economies are benefiting from economies of scale in infrastructure and markets; a better business environment; more attraction for investment; greater weight in international negotiations, and some progress in peace and security though challenges remain. In recognition of these benefits, Africa has established several Regional Economic Communities, multiple regional technical bodies and launched the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) to promote regional integration and cooperation. As a keen supporter of the regional approach The World Bank Group seeks continuously to deepen and expand its support to these initiatives.
The first priority of this task is to provide proactive and effective support to the West Africa CCD in coordinating the implementation of the existing complex multi-country programs and portfolio. The successful candidate will support the CCD in identifying opportunities for increasing the poverty impacts of the ongoing regional integration program and projects and possible innovations that would assure efficiency, cost effectiveness and speed of delivery. The Snr Operations Officer will also support the CCD to coordinate closely with other West Africa Country Directors, Country Management Unit (CMUs) and Sector Management Unit (SMUs) staff and with development partners as well as RECs (ECOWAS and UEMOA) and other regional institutions, think tanks and civil society.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Snr. Operations Officer will report to the West Africa Co-ordinating CD and work closely with the Regional Integration department staff based in Washington and the West Africa CDs.
A. Programme Development:
• Assist West Africa CCD to work closely with, TTLs, West Africa CMUs and SMUs staff, CDs, regional integration opportunities, approaches and instrument.
• Assist the CCD in co-ordinating the West Africa Implementation Action Plan of the West Africa Regional Integration Assistance Strategy.
• Prepare briefs the CCD on a variety of issues related to the regional context and programme in the sub region and assist with co-ordination of analytical work related to regional integration, including those related to implementation issues and policy dialogue
B. Co-ordination of Portfolio Management and Implementation Support:
• Support CCD in overall co-ordination among CDs, CMU and SMU staff and project teams to ensure effective implementation of regional integration programmes and timely production of deliverables.
• Represent CCD in reviews of Project Concept notes (PCDs) Project Appraisal Documents (PADS. Initiating Memorandums (IMS), project supervision reports, and other reports including economic sector work consistency with the Regional Integration Strategy and CASs.
• Assist CCD in identifying cross-cutting portfolio issues and work closely with CMUs and co-ordinating CDs, sector leaders and AFTOS in addressing them
Qualification Required & Experience
• The Snr Operations Officer requires excellent oral and written communication skills; the ability to respond to shifting work priorities and deliver high quality work on time and ability and capacity to negotiate and resolve differences of opinion/conflicts constructive.
• Candidates need to be self-motivated and possess superior interpersonal skills involving teamwork and collaboration with development partners with professionals of other disciplines and other departments.
In addition, the following criteria need to be met:
• Master's degree in economics, public policy, business administration, engineering, or other discipline applicable to the duties and responsibilities of the position;
• Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in one or more professional disciplines ideally related to infrastructure sectors, natural resources management, donor co-ordination;
• Knowledge of the donor architecture, frameworks and priorities for supporting regional integration in West Africa;
• Experience in setting up portfolio monitoring systems, quality assurance systems, and/or monitoring and evaluation systems. Knowledge and/or experience in the application of results-based approaches at project, programme, and national/regional levels;
How To Apply For The Job
For the FULL job description and selection criteria for this vacancy, qualified candidates are requested to visit and submit an electronic application at the World Bank careers website: www.worldbank.org/careers
. Once on the site, Click on > Current Job Openings > Job Family > Operational Services
> Job type > Professional & Technical
> Location > Abuja, Nigeria
> Job number > 131134
26 May, 2013
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals wth disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.