OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
• To serve as the Technical Adviser for Disease Surveillance in Ghana, under the authority of the WR with supervision and orientation from the WHO/EPI Inter country Support Team (ICST) for the epidemiological Block, and as such:--> Cooperate with head of national surveillance in coordinating donor support--> Support planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of VPD surveillance activities and implementation of IDSR--> Plan, organize support and monitor implementation and report programme activities.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
In order to achieve the above-mentioned objectives, the incumbent will perform but not limited to the following activities:
• 1. Participate in developing or revising national plans of action and contribute to improving the coordination between donor agencies to ensure adequate implementation of plans.
• 2. Follow up on progress and constraints in the implementation of national VPD surveillance/IDSR plans in all areas and focusing on the areas targeted by grants provides by WHO and other agencies as requested and provides relevant reports to national authorities and WHO.
• 3. Collaborate with Partners on issues of laboratory equipment and reagents, logistics, advocacy and communication etc
• 4. Participate in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of capacity building plans, and identify and advise on need internal and external support for specific areas.
• 5. assist in monitoring progress of surveillance activities by collecting and analyzing data from districts and using them at national, regional and district levels
• 6. Participate in the identification and planning of operational research activities supportive of boosting routine coverage as well as in their evaluation of their implementation.
• 7. Assist in the review of Disease surveillance to identify needs for reorientation in national; policies and strategies for national surveillance
• 8. Document lesson learnt and best practices particularly from areas with support from grants and dissemination for national benefit.
• 9. Undertake other activities relevant to child survival and development as may be requested by WHO or the Government.
Achievement activities include:
• 1. Development and implementation of annual and annual reports,
• 2. Monthly district data review for feedback on performance for decision-making
• 3. Supportive supervisory visit to regions and districts to improve surveillance performance indicators
• 4. regular resource management monitoring and inventory
• 5. Training to build capacity at al levels for disease surveillance
• 6. Support planning and conducting supplemental immunization activities (SIAs) for VPD (polio, measles, yellow fever MNT etc)
• 7. Advocacy and social mobilization to improve community involvement and participation
• 8. VPD surveillance activities
• 9. Support for technical committees - NPEC, NCC, ICC etc.
• 10. Collaborate with private sector and community interest groups to strengthen community-based surveillance programmes.
Qualification Required & Experience
Graduate or post graduate degree or equivalent in medicine, nursing or any health related field from a recognized university.Technical expertise in public health, epidemiology, disease control and immunization
Experience in Epidemiology or Public Health education
Some years public health experience in planning, training and implementation of EPI and disease surveillance
1. Speak and write clearly, adapting communication style and content so they are appropriate to the needs of the intended audience.2. Keep others informed of the key and relevant issues through reports, publications and documentation pf best practices.3. Remain productive when under pressure4. monitor progress against objectives and take corrective actions necessary5. produce high quality result6. Work collaboratively with team members to achieve results7. develop strategic plans into clearly defined objectives that take account of changing circumstance8. Identify priorities and define realistic objectives and timeliness9. quickly re-allocate resources and reset priorities in response to unexpected events10. Promote WHO's mission and programmes successfully.
• Knowing and managing yourself
• Producing results
• Ensuring the effective use of resources
Use of Language Skills
Expert knowledge of French.
Intermediate knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at GHS 116,677
(subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Click Here To Apply Online
05 March, 2019