Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) - is a public-benefit federal enterprise working in more than 100 countries worldwide. We work on behalf of the German Government and support public and private sector clients in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and environment, and peace and security. Our activities cover three priority areas: Energy and Climate, which deals with renewable energy and energy efficiency; Training and Sustainable Growth for decent Jobs; and Peaceful and Inclusive Societies, which focuses on good governance.
• The Joint Action “Business Support Facility for Resilient Agriculture Value Chains” is a combined effort of the EU, OACPS and BMZ. The Joint Action is based on longstanding working experience with the promotion of sustainable agribusiness and value chain (VC) development focusing on maize, cassava, livestock, chicken/eggs, cashew, and cocoa VCs. Its focus is to contribute to economic and climate change resilience of selected VCs and food security, increased income, and employment in the 79 African, Caribbean, and Pacific (ACP) countries under postCotonou agreement.
• Business Support Facility for Resilient Agricultural Value Chains provides support to actors in Cocoa, Cashew, Cassava, Maize, Chicken/Eggs, Livestock (Cattle, Sheep or Goat), Honey Value Chains to foster and improve supply chain linkages among others.
• The Competitive Cashew initiative (ComCashew) is part of the joint action and will focus its activities along the cashew value chain. The present job description will be on support to the ComCashew actions.
Scope of Role:
• The Technical Advisor will be working in the three outputs of the projects and is responsible for daily implementation and operational aspects around the topics of climate-resilience in cashew production systems.
• He/she will support the project through the provision of technical assistance and advice to the programme partners/ service providers and ensure the operationalisation of activities within the project work with a focus on integration of climate-resilient activities as well as adaptation and mitigation measures. Special focus should lie on the acquisition of pilots on climate-financing and scaling up of existing pilots on Ghana and the entire ECOWAS region.
1. Advisory tasks
• Develop and guide the implementation of climate adaptation and mitigating adaptation pilots and activities including climate-finance.
• Assist with the general day-to-day operations of the project, including management and collaboration processes in the production component
• Supports the coordination, liaison and advice to the partner organisations
• Coordinates and assists in preparing, planning, implementing and monitoring of programme plans and activities in close consultation and coordination with counterparts.
• Jointly responsible with partner institutions for preparing, implementing and documenting training events, workshops, forums, team meetings and other programme activities.
2. Communication and networking
• develops and maintains contact with all important stakeholders.
• provides technical assistance to local and international experts.
• ensures knowledge management collects, processes and distributes relevant information, monitors communication and interaction between government institutions, NGOs and society through analyses of the media, direct dialogue, participation in meetings and seminars etc.
3. Knowledge management
• develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures on climate adaptation and mitigating adaptation activites including climate-finance.
• draws up reports and presentation documents.
• prepares appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by
the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
• assists with research activities and studies on climate resilience and climate finance issues which benefit joint programmes.
4. Other duties/additional tasks
• performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Qualification Required & Experience
• University degree in agriculture, agribusiness, natural resource management, environmental management, sustainability management, rural development or related subjects
• Prior experience in the field of agriculture and climate change nexus is a must
• Business fluency in English and French (orally and written) is essential.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in the field of climate change, preferably with a focus on adaptation to climate change, climate resilience and climate finance especially in agriculture and environmental resource management
• Several years of professional experience in advising political partners, preferably in developing or emerging countries in West African region and/or beyond
• Ability to think and act strategically and analytically or quick on the uptake, with a certain affinity for data analysis/data modelling and an eye for the essentials.
• Solid or expandable knowledge of GIZ's systems
• Knowledge of the cashew value chain is an asset
• Willingness to design and creativity
• Commitment, team spirit, reliability, diplomatic skills, context sensitivity, gender competence and intercultural understanding
• Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
• Proactive attitude towards personal growth and institutional changes
• Willingness to travel, as required,
• Ability to conduct research and analysis, with strong synthesis skills.
• Understanding climate resilience and low carbon growth in the agricultural sector.
• Experience in gender considerations in a project setting will be an asset.
• Demonstrate awareness about key global climate change technological interventions and their applicability to the Cashew Value Chain
• Experience in steering partnership and building relationships with private and the public sector to achieve sustainability goals
• Vast knowledge and experience in agroforestry systems, conservation agriculture/regenerative agricultural practices
• Practical experience in integrated soil fertility, pest, diseases, weed and nutrient management.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested and suitable applicants are to forward their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a one-page cover letter to:
quoting the Job Code 2023/MOVE/23/08
in the subject line. If you do not hear from us two (2) weeks after the deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful.
10 September, 2023
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.