The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of a TEMPORARY PROTOCOL ASSISTANT in the Executive Office. Position Number:
A01001(B) BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
• The incumbent assists the Ambassador and the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM) in a variety of protocol related matters such as setting up appointments for Embassy staff with Ghanaian officials, preparing, revising and finalizing guest lists for Embassy functions; providing assistance to visiting delegations with protocol guidance and serves as a personal assistant and advisor on protocol matters to Embassy officials. This includes researching and advising the Mission on all aspects of protocol, precedence, and local customs and practices, providing particular instruction to the Executive Office staff on cultural issues.
• The incumbent must be familiar with host government officials, the diplomatic community and business contacts; identifies, schedules and coordinates calls on ranking officials on behalf of the Ambassador, ensuring that the Ambassador has been briefed accordingly; organizes and coordinates all representational events hosted at the Chief of Mission’s Residence (CMR) and Deputy Chief’s Residence (DCR) from preparing draft guest lists and seeing them through to final print; preparing invitations and ensuring they are distributed in a timely fashion, securing RSVPs and tracking numbers, and briefing the Front Office on the final count. The incumbent expected to attend all official functions at the CMR and DCR, meet and greet all guests upon arrival and must have a strong knowledge of identifying faces and titles.
• The incumbent schedules appointments with the host government on behalf of visiting VIPs and U.S. Government officials, drafts diplomatic notes on behalf of the Executive Office and the Mission in general, as requested. Also maintains log of all outgoing diplomatic notes and database of all local VIPs. Qualification Required & Experience NOTE:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• Completion of Secondary School and at least two years of post-secondary study in secretarial, business school, college or university is required.
• Three to five years experience as an executive secretary or its equivalent is required.
• Level IV English and Twi are required: Fluent - High degree of proficiency in both the written and spoken language, including the ability to translate. On occasion, the Job Holder may need to act as an interpreter. Language proficiency will be tested.
• A thorough understanding of Ghana’s economic, social and political scene is required.
• Able to work independently and have the tact and interpersonal skills to deal comfortably with high ranking officials from both Ghana and the U.S.
• Level II (40 wpm) typing skills; excellent computer skills, knowledge of MS Excel, Word and web-based applications. Computer skills will be tested. Salary: GH¢34,257.00
p.a. (Starting salary) Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form
DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
T. References NOTE:
1. All applications must have the Position Number
and Position Title
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the email address.:- [email protected]
This is the preferred means of applying for a position with the American Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY. SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom, Chancery American Embassy, Accra P.O. Box GP194, Accra POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] Closing Date:
10 September, 2015 NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.