The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of UTILITIES SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (PLUMBING) in the Facilities Maintenance Section of the Embassy. POSITION NO: A52015 BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
• The incumbent shall be responsible to the Facilities Mechanical Engineer for the performance of Electrical Technical services for Facilities Maintenance for US Government held properties in Accra, Ghana. S/he shall have in depth knowledge of various related Mechanical/Utilities fields for purposes of installation, inspection, repairs, and manages plumbing, water distribution, water treatment, wastewater collection systems and components, fire suppression and backflow prevention systems as well as complying with environmental and safety regulations and practices.
• The incumbent installs and operates plumbing, water treatment, wastewater, fire suppression and backflow prevention systems and components. S/he monitors systems operation to ensure efficiency and compliance and ensures compliance with safety and environmental regulations for hazardous materials. The incumbent maintains, inspects, and repairs plumbing, water, water treatment, wastewater, fire suppression and backflow prevention systems, and components. S/he performs inspection, recurring maintenance, and seasonal overhaul on systems and components and troubleshoots malfunctions. S/he uses drawings and schematics to analyze and isolate system
malfunctions as well as removes, repairs, and replaces defective components. S/he modifies equipment for specific missions or to increase efficiency in addition to locating and determining quality and quantity of water sources. The incumbent performs planning activities, performs facility surveys, surveys proposed work to determine resource requirements and prepares cost estimates for in-service work. S/he applies engineered performance standards to plan and estimate jobs, coordinates plans and other activities and complies with environmental policies. Qualification Required & Experience NOTE:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• Completion of high school (or equivalent) with in plumbing systems, drawing and specifications use is required, shop mechanics, waste water systems, and water quality testing and analysis is desirable.
• A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the field of Mechanical Utilities such as operation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing, water, water treatment with a reputable company is required.
• Must have Level III (Good working knowledge) in English is required. Good working knowledge of the written and spoken language. Job Holder will be able to read and understand, for example, regulations, instructions and related material concerning the field of work, and to prepare correspondence and standardized reports. Job Holder will be able to communicate effectively with staff and members of the public in the language. Language proficiency will be tested.
• Must have knowledge in mandatory of nomenclature, types, sizes and uses of plumbing materials such as pumps, pipes, valves, fittings, metals, caulking, packing, and gaskets; shop mathematics; reading and interpreting drawings and specifications; maintenance and operation of water, water treatment, and waste collection systems; corrosion prevention; commercial publications; and environmental regulations.
• Must be able to use a computer for word processing and provide briefing to the FMS on technical issues. Computer skills will be tested. SELECTION PROCESS
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application. ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
• Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
• Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
• Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
• Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold FMA appointment are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
• Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule. Starting Salary:
GH¢21, 415 p.a. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form
DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
T. References NOTE:
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the email address.:- [email protected]
This is the preferred means of applying for a position with the American Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY. SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom, Chancery American Embassy, Accra P.O. Box GP194, Accra POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] Closing Date:
02 September, 2014 NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.