Type of Contract:
Volunteer (unpaid) Start Date:
Accra, Ghana Reporting to:
Field Officer Time Commitment:
Volunteers will receive transportation and food allowances only BACKGROUND
Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, our mission is to help young people succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana will lead on the mobilisation, screening and recruitment of youth participants to the programme. ROLE FUNCTION
Volunteer Field Assistants will assist the Field Officer to promote the project to young people in the target group in order to recruit participants for a training programme on entrepreneurship, life skills and financial literacy. They will assist with the screening of applicants wishing to join the programme, and with maintaining records of participants. ROLE DESCRIPTION
The duties and responsibilities of the Volunteer Field Assistants are as follows:
• Assist with the Field Officer with promoting and raising awareness about the project to youths in target group, by undertaking community outreach activities and organising events to recruit participants to the training programme.
• Screen applicants to assess their eligibility for the programme.
• Assist with data collection from participants.
• Under the supervision of the Field Officer, maintain records of participant details using both paper records and data entry into the Participant Management Database. KEY REQUIREMENTS PLEASE NOTE:
Only candidates who are permanent residents in Accra are eligible to apply.
Women are especially encouraged to apply.
YES-Ghana is looking for volunteers who can demonstrate the following experience, skills and values: Qualification Required & Experience
• Some experience volunteering in the local community (for school, church group or local community centre.
• Experience participating in or organising youth-focussed activities highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Some experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases would be a plus. Skills and personal attributes
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people skills.
• Relates well to young people.
• Interest in combatting youth unemployment.
• Self-motivated with ability to take initiative.
• Able to deal with new or difficult situations, and make sound judgements.
• Fluency in English, Twi and Ga.
• Familiarity with a variety of local communities within Accra.
• Willing to travel to different communities within Accra. Values
• Passion for working with marginalised youth.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
To apply, please send a current CV and cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) clearly outlining your motivation for applying and how you meet each of the requirements listed for this role to: [email protected]
Please use VOLUNTEER FIELD ASSISTANT-ACCRA
as the subject line of your email. Closing Date:
26 July, 2015