Founded in 2001, the Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) brings together innovative and energetic young professionals who work with relevant stakeholders to lay the foundation for the promotion of a sustainable and productive future for the youth in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, we work to realize a vision: a world where every young person has a real chance to benefit from and participate in the development processes at local, national and international levels. Our mission is to promote policies and develop initiatives that help youth succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient, and self-respecting citizens. Our core areas of competency include youth employment and entrepreneurship; youth leadership and capacity development; youth policy and advocacy; youth participation and active citizenship. YES-Ghana operates as a not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation incorporated according to the laws of Ghana. For more information on YES-Ghana, see www.yesghana.org
• Reporting to:
• Duration of Contract:
One year (renewable)
• Type of Contract:
Volunteers will receive transportation and food allowances Background
• Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, our mission is to help young people succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens.
• YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana will lead on the mobilisation, screening and recruitment of youth participants to the programme. Role Function
• Volunteer Field Assistants will assist the Field Officer to promote the project to young people in the target group in order to recruit participants for training programmes on technical skills, entrepreneurship, life skills and financial literacy.
• They will assist with the screening of applicants wishing to join the programme, and with maintaining records of participants. Role Description
The duties and responsibilities of the Volunteer Field Assistants are as follows:
• Assist the Field Officer with promoting and raising awareness about the project to youths in local communities:
• undertaking community outreach activities by liaising with community leaders and doing door-to-door outreach
• helping to organise mobilisation activities to recruit participants to the training programme.
• Screen applicants to assess their eligibility for the programme and assist with data collection from participants.
• Under the supervision of the Field Officer, maintain records of participant details using both paper records and data entry into the Participant Management Database.
• Answer and make phone calls to prospective participants of the programme. Key Requirements
Women are especially encouraged to apply. Skills and personal attributes
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people skills.
• Relates well to young people.
• Familiarity with a variety of local communities within Accra.
• Strong links with key opinion leaders in local community.
• Interest in combatting youth unemployment.
• Self-motivated with ability to take initiative.
• Able to deal with new or difficult situations, and make sound judgements.
• Fluency in English, Twi and Ga.
• Willing to travel to different communities within Accra. Qualification Required & Experience
• Some experience volunteering in the local community (for example with a youth group, school, church group or local community centre.)
• Experience participating in or organising youth-focussed activities highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Some experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases would be a plus. Values
• Passion for working with marginalised youth.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
To apply for this volunteer position, please send a cover letter (no more than 1 side of A4) clearly outlining your motivation for applying and how you meet each of the requirements listed for this role to: [email protected]
Alternatively you can deliver the letter in person to our office at:- No. 16 Prince of Peace School Link, Off UPSA-ATRACO Road, East Legon, Accra. Closing Date:
15 November, 2015
• Please use VOLUNTEER FIELD ASSISTANT-ACCRA
as the subject line of your email.
• Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
• Women are especially encouraged to apply.