• The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Field Specialist at Tamale will be responsible for the management of Project implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation ofWater and Sanitation Programmes in the three northern regions of Ghana, ensuring overall efficiency and effectiveness, timely delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives.
• Maintaining transparency in the distribution and monitoring of financial disbursement and maintaining proper documentation, collating facts and figures and transform them into collective data reports.
• Support identification of gender inequalities and implement programmes to eliminate gender inequalities Major Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for managing the planning, development, implementation and monitoring of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme in a rigorous and transparent manner to ensure efficient/timely programme delivery and stakeholder engagement.
• Manage a team ofWASH professionals at the field office level to deliver expected project results in a timely and efficient manner.
• Provide support for sector review and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and meetings with intra/inter-department and government counterparts.
• Mentor and train partner staff at the decentralized/grass-root level in the principles and processes ofWASH, enabling them to participate in the implementation and bring about social awareness and facilitating and encouraging natural leaders.
• Work closely and collaboratively with local government officials and other partners, NGOs and bilateral agencies in the different stages ofWASH programme / project implementation to provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical,.financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve WASH programme goals, including humanitarian response and technical follow up on agreements and recommendations.
• Facilitate knowledge sharing at a regional level for cross-learning and experience sharing amongst districts and document lessons learnt;
• Ensure that UNICEF provides appropriate, targeted, efficient and effective emergency preparedness and emergency response support to the government. Qualification Required & Experience Education:
• Advanced Degree (or equivalent) in Public Health, Environmental Management, Health Education, Civil Engineering or any other WASH related areas Work Experience:
• Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector field work experience.
• Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach. Language Proficiency:
• Fluency in English required. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station and another UN working language an asset. Competency Profile
• Core Values (Required)
Diversity and Inclusion
• Core Competence (Required)
Working with People [II]
Drive for Results [II]
• Functional Competencies (Required)
Formulating Strategies and Concepts [I]
Applying Technical Expertise [III]
Learning and Researching [I]
Deciding and Initiating Action [II]
Relating and Networking[II] Other Skills and Attributes
• Essential Technical Knowledge in the latest theories, principles and methods in the following areas; Community based sanitation i.e.: hygiene education or latrine construction and waste management, Water supply projects management
• Excellent analytical, negotiating, communication (both verbal and written) and advocacy skills.
• Supervisory, Leadership and managerial skills.
• Initiative and resourcefulness. Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working rela-tionships with other team members and partners, with sensitivity, in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment.
• Gender equity and diversity awareness
• Effective coordination skills, networking and influencing
• Knowledge of computer management and applications Location:
Tamale How To Apply For The Job
If you have experience working in a similar capacity and want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children and match the profile outlines, send a brief application letter supported by detailed curriculum vitae, UN Personal History form (which can be downloaded from: (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/p11.doc
) and photocopies of other supporting documents to:- [email protected]
Applicants are requested to indicate the title of the position they are applying for.
Or The Human Resources Manager
P. O. BOX 5051
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for written test.
• Application submitted without PI I for will not be considered. QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY NOTE: UNICEF IS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT!!!