Applications are invited from suitably qualified Ghanaian Nationals for the post of WASH Officer - Geographic Information System (National Officer Category). VN No.:
Temporary Appointment Post Level:
NO-B IMIS #:
Temporary Appointment Duty Station:
Accra Type of Contract:
Temporary Appointment for 364 days Job purpose
Under the general supervision of the WASH Specialist, responsible for developing, updating and producing Geographic Information System (GIS) outputs to use in planning and exhibiting of results from the WASH programme. MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop WASH GIS tools for the collection, interpretation, analysis and presentation of WASH data. Work closely with the WASH M&E Officer to ensure all relevant data is included within the design of the GIS systems and that suitable measures are incorporated for data validation. Develop any relevant data collection tools required for optimal use of GIS systems.
• Production of High Quality GIS Outputs
• Innovation - Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in the GIS sector, both within Ghana and globally
• Maintain strong communications with the WASH M&E Officer to ensure accurate utilization of data.
• Develop training materials and deliver training to WASH team members and implementing partners on the use of WASH GIS systems. Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in GIS/remote sensing, geodetic engineering, statistics, information management, planning and development, geography, project management, water and sanitation or other relevant degree to GIS. Work Experience
• A minimum of 2 years progressively responsible work experience in GIS field (overlapping responsibilities with WASH programming is a strong asset)
• Professional training and experience in the use of GIS tools, techniques and software e.g. Arc-GIS, Web-GIS, ERDAS Imagine, ESRI, Google Earth or ENVI
• Experience in the use of Google Earth, mWater and akvo flow is a strong asset.
• Experience of remote sensing technologies is an asset
• Experience required on web-based open source platforms
• Proven experience of generating high quality and user-friendly GIS outputs/maps.
• Excellent interpersonal communication techniques
• Established networks within the WASH and GIS sectors in Ghana
• Experience of developing training materials and delivering to a diverse group of participants Language Proficiency
• Fluency in English required. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station and another UN working language an asset. Competency Profile i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
• Integrity ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [II]
• Working with People [I]
• Drive for Results [I] iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
• Analyzing [ II ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
• Learning and Researching [ II ]
• Planning and Organizing [ I ] Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
If you have experience working in a similar capacity and want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children and match the profile outlines, send a brief application letter supported by detailed curriculum vitae, UN Personal History form (which can be downloaded from http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/p11.doc
) and photocopies of other supporting documents to: [email protected]
OR The Human Resources Officer UNICEF, P.O. Box 5051, Accra-North
Applications can also be hand delivered to:
Location: 4-8 Rangoon Close, Cantonments (Behind UNDP, near Ghana National Fire Service Headquarters on the Ring Road) Closing Date:
03 December, 2015
Applications submitted without the P11 form will not be considered. UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and it staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly females are encouraged to apply. NOTE: UNICEF IS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT!!!