Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality.
The Agency’s three Signature Programming Areas include Emergency Response/Recovery, Agriculture Livelihoods and Health. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs where possible, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has been working in Ghana since 1958 and currently focuses on health, and food security/livelihoods.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We are motivated by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cherish, preserve and uphold the sacredness and dignity of all human life, foster charity and justice, and embody Catholic social and moral teaching as we act to:
• Promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and,
• Serve Catholics in the United States as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world. Job Description
• Job Title:
Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH) Specialist
• Report to:
I-SHINE Project Coordinator
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has been working in Ghana since 1958 in Health, Agriculture, Peace Building, Water and Sanitation, Microfinance and Education programs. A United States based Foundation has approved the CRS Ghana’s Integrated Sanitation, Hygiene and Nutrition for Education (I-SHINE) Project for a period of three years.
The I-SHINE is a three year project (January 01, 2014 to December 31, 2016) targeting 120 schools across six districts ( three each in Northern and Upper East Regions) of Ghana with the goal of contributing to improving the health and well-being of vulnerable children in six districts in Northern and Upper East Regions of Ghana . I-SHINE Project will be implemented by CRS Ghana in partnership with the Ghana Health Service (GHS), Ghana Education Service (GES) and the District Water and Sanitation Teams of the beneficiary District Assemblies. Primary Functions
The WASH specialist will be responsible for ensuring that I-SHINE WASH related activities are technically sound and impact positively on the lives of the targeted beneficiaries. To achieve this, a high level of commitment and coordination with the Project Coordinator is required to strengthen the overall capacity of the Country Program by reviewing and providing feedback to strategic planning, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of water and sanitation system delivery projects, as well as improved hygiene knowledge and practice will be critical.
This position does not only require a high technical level in water, sanitation and hygiene promotion but also leadership, coordination skills and familiarity with Community-led Total Sanitation Model as well as WASH in schools. Key Job Responsibilities Technical Support
• Coordinate the water, sanitation and hygiene component of the I-SHINE Project and maintains overall responsibility for technical oversight of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activities
• Provide technical oversight and coordination of both community and school-based WASH related components of the project
• Assist the Project Coordinator in the planning, development and periodic appraisals of the Agency’s short and long term development programs and project proposals in compliance with the Agency’s standards and formats, and in accordance with identified needs
• Lead in the development, revisions and implementation of CLTS, WASH in schools related tools, guidelines, materials and methodologies, to promote community problem solving and decision-making concerning health, hygiene and sanitation issues
• Facilitate the production of simple technologies – tippy taps – and their use in target communities
• Work closely with Field Officers to train, sustain the functioning of vibrant Sanitation Advocacy Groups (SAG) in targeted communities
• Integrate public health concepts into water, sanitation and hygiene activities and ensure close collaboration with health, education and district assembly sub-sectors, including hygiene promotion and community mobilisation
• Ensure that gender issues are considered in the design and implementation of projects, that WATSAN programming is consistent with the Sustainable Livelihood Approach and integrates environmental considerations.
• Facilitate the roll-out of key advocacy activities regarding the WASH(community and school-based) sectors within the NGO community and government departments
• Support the identification and participate in the negotiation of contracts with contractors on gender friendly latrines and urinals and other WASH facilities in line with UNICEF and WHO standards
• Support the Project Coordinator to represent CRS/Ghana at water and sanitation fora, and technical sessions.
• Support the Project Coordinator to assess technical and human resource needs of Wat/San portfolio and make recommendations Strategic & Program Development
• Lead the identification, research and development of new business opportunities in the health sector for CRS Ghana
• Provide technical leadership to the development of CRS/Ghana's WASH in school sub-strategy as well as modified CLTS especially in communities with high level of poverty and resource constraints
• Provide technical support in the development of sound innovative water and cost-effective, sanitation and hygiene programs and in their implementation.,
• Coordinate with M&E Specialist, SILC/Nutrition Specialist and Community Mobilization Specialist to determine an optimal and timely implementation and monitoring strategies.
• Ensures that the I-SHINE WASH strategies engage local stakeholders and develop local capacity for longer-term sustainability
• Participate (where appropriate) in the technical reviews of WASH related concepts and proposals and provide technical feedback and guidance for possible innovations
• Assess opportunities for integrating Water and Sanitation with existing Health, Education, Microfinance, and Agricultural programs and develop concrete strategies for encouraging integration at the community level
• Support the Project Coordinator in managing all assigned CRS/Ghana's WATSAN programs, including budget and draft response to review comments, including Audit findings
• Ensure that the strategic design of the Water and Sanitation program adheres to existing Government of Ghana policies (CWSA, WRC, etc)
• Identify potential linkages with research and funding institutions in the WATSAN sector.
• Support the PC and work with other colleagues to document and draw lessons learned from CRS' experience in the WASH sector and disseminate to partners and other CRS CPs and Agency support staff. Coordination and Reporting
• Coordinate with the I-SHINE Project Coordinator to develop monthly WASH component activity plans for the I-SHINE WASH staff
• Draft and submit bi-monthly reports to the Head of Programs highlighting progress made towards work plans
• Represent CRS at sectoral meetings and provide feedback to the Head of Programs Key Working Relationships:
• CRS/Ghana's I-SHINE Team, Health Program Manager, Head of Programs and Country Representative, Regional Technical Advisor for Emergency and WASH and WASH Sector representatives (government and NGOs) Qualification Required & Experience
• An advance University Degree in Civil Engineering and related field, or Postgraduate/specialized training in water, hygiene and sanitation, water resources management or other related discipline.
• Minimum of 3 years professional experience in development projects preferably WASH in schools as well as Community-Led Total Sanitation methodologies
• Proven experience in budgeting and budget management
• Strong analytical and communication skills and ability to multi-task under pressure and yet remain effective and productive.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with partners and lead a team
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, cultural sensitivity, ability to work with people, good judgment and commitment to the Agency's mission
• Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Internet, etc.)
• Willingness to travel to field sites as required by the project Desirable
• Experience in health education, community mobilization, hygiene and sanitation campaigns will be an added advantage. Competencies
• Set clear goals and work towards achieving them
• Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
• Manages financial resources with integrity
• Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning Agency-Wide Competencies
• Upholds a Spirit of Service and Integrity
• Cultivates Constructive and Collegial Relationships
• Models Principled Stewardship
• Promotes continuous learning and innovation Note:
List of responsibilities, professional and personal skills are considered indicative and not exhaustive; actual duties may differ or change depending on office and agency priorities at the time Location:
Tamale How to Apply For the Job
To apply for this position, please submit your CV and letter of interest to:- [email protected]
Closing Date: 22 September, 2015
Application must be saved with this format:- Application.CV.(Name).WASH Specialist
• CRS is an equal opportunity employer.
• Female candidates meeting position requirements are strongly encouraged to apply