Type of Contract:
Part-time, fixed-term Start Date:
August 2015 Location:
Accra, Ghana Salary and Conditions:
Competitive Reporting to:
Training and Capacity Building Manager BACKGROUND
Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, our mission is to help young people succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative, which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana will lead on the delivery of an integrated training curriculum for youth participants enrolled on the programme, through the successful recruitment of experienced and dedicated Trainers. JOB FUNCTION
YES-Ghana is recruiting 5 trainers to lead on the facilitation of training sessions for youth participants enrolled on the programme in Accra. Trainers will attend a 5-day Training of the Trainers (ToT) workshop in Accra where they will be provided with the tools, skills and knowledge to successfully deliver an integrated training curriculum covering three substantive topics: a) Entrepreneurship; b) Life Skills and Work Readiness; and c) Financial Literacy. Following workshop completion, Trainers will deliver the training curriculum on a rolling basis to groups of 35+ youth participants. JOB DESCRIPTION
The duties and responsibilities of the Trainers are as follows: Session Preparation
• Review and prepare all training materials ahead of each training sesion.
• Manage requests for any training equipment (e.g. projector screen) required ahead of session delivery.
• Arrange classrooms and outdoor training spaces ready for session delivery, ensuring all training spaces are sufficiently risk assessed and fit-for-purpose. Session Delivery and Learning Support
• Lead on the successful delivery of training sessions, to include the coordination and facilitation of both group-based activities and individual tasks.
• Provide targeted support to youth participants to start and work through tasks set with assistance from a training support volunteer. Behaviour Management
• Successfully manage behaviour during session delivery, working within a robust Code of Conduct framework.
• Escalate any participant behavioural concerns to the YES-Ghana team when necessary. Monitoring and Evaluation
• Monitor and record participant attendance and maintain other project records as required.
• Implement youth-centred participant pre-training and post-training assessments and course feedback processes.
• Provide inputs into consortium-wide training quality assessments and performance appraisals. KEY REQUIREMENTS PLEASE NOTE:
All candidates must be permanent residents in Accra to be eligible to apply.
Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
YES-Ghana invites applications from candidates able to demonstrate the following experience, skills and values: Qualification Required & Experience
• Extensive experience in the design, delivery and facilitation of training for diverse youth audiences in Ghana at the local, regional and national levels.
• Extensive knowledge of the local operating environment and a track record of engaging youth in mobilisation activities within Accra highly preferred.
• Experience of working with and successfully engaging mixed-gender (male and female) youth groups in training activities on topics of a sensitive nature.
• Experience of using creative training methods such as forum theatre, role play, and graphic facilitation would be highly desired.
• Experience in the planning, facilitation and evaluation of training processes using participatory tools. Skills
• Fluency in English, Twi and Ga.
• Ability to work independently and use initiative.
• Ability to work within a monitoring and evaluation framework.
• Strategies for working within a gender-sensitive framework.
• A track record of successfully engaging young women in training highly desired.
• A flexible approach to work – the ability to work at evenings and weekends. Values
• Demonstrated passion for working with youth.
• Commitment to youth development in Ghana, especially mobilisation of marginalised youth in disadvantaged communities.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
To apply, please send a current CV and cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) clearly outlining your motivation for applying and how you meet each of the requirements listed for this role to: [email protected]
Please use: TRAINER-ACCRA
as the subject line of the email. Closing Date:
26 July, 2015