At Literacy Bridge Ghana, our mission is to use information and communication technology (ICT) for development, with particular focus on health, education, and income. We help others overcome poverty through village access to on-demand knowledge.
We acknowledge that a wealth of crucial knowledge is already available throughout the rural districts of Ghana; the problem is connecting that knowledge with people who lack literacy skills and live without electricity. We address this problem with a simple and low-cost audio technology: the Talking Book. We designed the Talking Book to address the short and long-term needs of those we serve: it gets vital knowledge into their hands immediately while enabling them to practice and improve their literacy skills over time.
Currently, we focus on agricultural skills and health behaviors that are designed specifically for the needs of community members in rural villages in the Upper West Region. By providing on demand access to audio lessons on these subjects, we have shown an increase in incomes and an increase in behaviors that lead to lower mortality rates.
Literacy Bridge Ghana will be implementing a project on the Jirapa District and require for immediate employment the following vacancies. Responsibilities
• Talking Book Hardware repair: it will periodically be necessary to disassemble, apply a programming probe to the PCB for firmware update, and even at times conduct minor soldering.
• Talking Book Software configuration and testing: preparation of Talking Book Loader for each content update, testing and reporting of new software releases.
• ICT Support: training, setup, and support of all ICT resources for internal and external users, e.g. helping LBG staff get Dropbox installed or setting up a new laptop or using a new tablet, but also responding to customer or partner questions on the use of our software (e.g. Audio Content Manager) or conducting training on the same topics.
• ICT procurement and management: assess LBG’s ICT needs, research options, plan and procure within designated budget, repair and maintain.
• Run and configure analysis software: use existing software to inspect, aggregate, and analyze Talking Book usage data and other metrics. Create new excel spreadsheets to assist in analyzing data.
• Oversee standardization of content tagging and naming practices: collaborate with content team and document standard practices. . Reporting
You will report directly to the LBG Executive Director but should work with your counterpart at Literacy Bridge (U.S.). Location
This position is based in Wa, Upper West Region. Telecommuting is possible for a portion of the job, but face-to-face meetings in Wa and travel to the Jirapa office will be necessary 25-50% of the time. Qualification Required & Experience
• Degree in computer science or engineering
• Knowledge in Java Application and Data Base
• 3 years working experience in IT
• Work experience in an NGOs is an added advantage
• Knowledge in computer hardware and software Location:
Wa, Upper West Region How To Apply For The Job
All applications and C.Vs should be mail to: [email protected] Closing Date:
02 January, 2014