The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of a MASON in the Facilities Maintenance Office of the Embassy. BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The incumbent performs full journeyman level of masonry work on the various houses and properties of the U.S. Mission in Accra.
Incumbent prepares mixtures of sand, gravel and other additives to maintain the strength of the cement desired. Makes forms for general foundation work, repairs walks, patios and areas of properties as required; uses mechanical equipment when a very large job is undertaken; and performs other chores as requested in keeping with his work as a mason such as laying of floor and wall tiles. S/he also assists in a team effort when large jobs are undertaken and is able to perform other chores in another area of the building trades.
Performs job activities and duties in a responsible manner to avoid the creation of safety or health hazards. Informs supervisors of all accidents, illnesses and injuries. Qualification Required & Experience NOTE:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• Completion of elementary school required. Additional vocational training in NVTI or related institution or an apprenticeship from a seasoned trades professional.
• Two to three years prior work experience as a mason at the journeyman level.
• Level III English language ability. Good working knowledge of the written and spoken language. Job holder will be able to read and understand, for example, regulations, instructions and related material concerning the field of work, and to prepare correspondence and standardized reports. Job holder will be able to communicate effectively with staff and members of the public in the language. Language proficiency will be tested.
• Must have full journeyman mechanic knowledge of the masonry field and knowledge of the practices and procedures of this trade. Must know and understand safety practices and health hazards of the job.
• Must be able to use the tools of the trade, i.e. lathes, molds, forms, cement sand, gravel, decorated stone and other elements of the masonry trade and be capable of laying tiles and other finishes for cement work. Must be able to read construction drawings and prepare bills of material.
• S/he must possess and provide a copy of minimum class B valid local driver's license and have excellent driving skills. Driving proficiency will be tested. ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
• Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
• Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
• Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
• Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold FMA appointment are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
• Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed
(WAE) work schedule. NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience T. References NOTE:
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the email address.:- [email protected]
This is the preferred means of applying for a position with theAmerican Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom, Chancery American Embassy, Accra P.O. Box GP194, Accra
POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] Closing Date:
21 February, 2014