• SECTION: UKVI (VISA SECTION) • GRADE : C4 (L) • LINE MANAGER : PETER SCOTT • POSITION TYPE: FULL TIME, ONE YEAR CONTRACT
The primary role is to work with the Entry Clearance Managers and senior management who run and supervise operations in the Visa section.
This position is ideally suited to someone who would like to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment as part of a large and diverse team of people, committed to achieving clear service delivery goals.
The day-to-day tasks will include managing and overseeing the visa operation, which involves supervising the staff who work with the intake of applications, the verification process, post and pre decision customer service, manage the preparation of daily, weekly and monthly reports for managers and manage all of the supporting administrative work. The main elements of the job include
• Overseeing the visa operation which includes oversight of intake and despatch of passport applications; supervising the completing of the necessary computer data entry and relevant checks using a range of office software, including email, spreadsheets and databases; Delegating work and managing productivity; assisting with enquiries and gather information on applications where necessary; Ensuring that all staff actions/behaviours in line with current guidance;
• Managing Administrative work, including management of staff & filing systems; Develop and implementing new administrative systems, such as records management; Recording office expenditure and managing the budget; Organising the office layout and maintaining supplies of stationery and equipment; Maintaining the condition of the office and arranging for necessary repairs
• Staffing: Overseeing the recruitment of new staff including training and induction; Managing staff levels to meet operational needs; Managing staff records; Overseeing line management and appraisal process, managing performance and disciplinary procedures; Recommending staff development and training; Implementing and promoting equality and diversity policy; Ensuring that health and safety policies are observed
• Writing reports for senior management and delivering presentations
• Arranging regular testing for electrical equipment and safety devices
• Liaising with ITSO for effective functioning of I.T. Qualification Required & Experience
The skills/attributes of the successful applicant should include
• Recent management experience
• Ability to prioritise in a fast-paced work environment, working unsupervised and delivering to tight deadlines
• Excellent self-organisation
• Excellent interpersonal skills and able to deal with difficult customers
• Strong IT skills – in particular be able to use Microsoft Excel and Word
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Excellent stakeholder engagement The successful applicant should have one or more of the following skills:
• Familiarity with managing administrative support and office procedures
• Customer service experience dealing with the general public, institutions and other government offices
• Dealing with sensitive issues, and therefore the ability to be highly ethical and discreet The successful applicant will need to :
• Undergo a rigorous and intrusive security clearance process.
• Observe the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s diversity and equality policies
• Have good interpersonal and IT skills and also have the ability to work under pressure.
• Show flexibility over working hours – the job involves some regional travel and some evening work may be required in assisting with an emergency. Salary:
GHS 4,208 Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Information for applicants
The appointment will be offered initially on a 1 year contract, and subject to the satisfactory completion of a probationary period. Thereafter, the appointment will be renewed for periods of 3 years, subject to satisfactory performance, by mutual agreement.
We will only accept applications from Ghanaian nationals who hold dual nationality with one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, United States of America, New Zealand and United Kingdom. NOTE:
• All applicants must be legally able to work in Ghana with the correct visa/status or work permit.
• The British High Commission in Accra is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
• Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission in Accra are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Ghanaian employment law.
• Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
• If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited. To Apply
Applicants should submit a short (1 page maximum) covering letter stating why they are a suitable candidate for the position along with a copy of their CV. Internal applicants should submit this along with a copy of their most recent 24 months of appraisal evidence (i.e. two full appraisals, or however many abridged appraisals, minutes etc to make up two years’ worth of evidence) to Human Resources, by email: [email protected] Closing Date:
15 December, 2014
The closing date is 15 December 2014 and no further applications will be accepted after that date. Please quote in the subject line if you are an internal candidate, or spouse of a diplomatic officer, with the Vacancy Notice No: 02/14 ACC
More information about the work of the British High Commission in Ghana can be found at http://ukinghana.fco.gov.uk/en/