The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of a PAINTER in the Facilities Maintenance Office (FMO) of the Embassy. POSITION NO:
A00026 BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
As a journeyman painter, incumbent paints inside and outside of homes and apartments as well as the Chancery. Mixes various paints and colors, treating all surfaces in a precise manner to account for the tropical climate of Ghana. Uses solvents and other equipment to give a proper balance to all products used. Painting projects include, but not limited to all surfaces, doors, window frames, porches, fences, and all inside areas as needed. Works on own unless required to teach other helpers in performing various chores. Qualification Required & Experience NOTE:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below withspecific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• Completion of elementary school is required. Must have either completed a three-year apprenticeship program in painting or obtained an NVTI certification (Level 1)
• One to two years prior work experience in a large organization doing variety of painting jobs.
• Level II English required. Limited knowledge of the written and spoken language, and a vocabulary limited to a specific occupation. Job holder will be able to understand and carry out verbal instructions of a repetitive nature, and prepare simple forms or reports. Language proficiency will be tested.
• Must have full journeyman mechanic knowledge of established practices and procedures of the painting trade. Must have the ability to mix colors and skilled in the use of solvents for use in the debilitating climate of the tropics.
• S/he must possess and provide a copy of a minimum class B valid driver’s license and have excellent driving skills. Driving proficiency will be tested. SELECTION PROCESS
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application. ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold FMA appointment are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule. Starting Salary:
GH¢14,628 p.a. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form
DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
T. References NOTE:
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the email address.:- [email protected]
This is the preferred means of applying for a position with the American Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom, Chancery American Embassy, Accra P.O. Box GP194, Accra POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] Closing Date:
07 August, 2014 NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.