CARE works in 87 countries around the world to support over 900 poverty-fighting development and emergency projects. Our Mission
To serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world Our Vision
We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.
CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of a Project Officer – PROMISE Project.
PROMISE is part of a multi country programme called Linking Initiatives, Stakeholders and Knowledge to Achieve Gender-Sensitive Livelihood Security (LINKAGES) developed by CARE Canada with funding from CIDA and is being implemented in Bolivia, Ethiopia, Mali and Ghana. PROMISE is CARE Ghana’s contribution to the achievement of the goal of LINKAGES “Improved nutritional and financial status of vulnerable women and girls”.
PROMISE in Ghana is implemented in 20 communities in 2 districts (Garu Tempane and East Mamprusi) in Upper East and Northern Regions respectively reaching out to 4460 direct female beneficiaries. It is a 4 year project starting August 2012 and ending August 2016 with funding from CIDA. PROMISE is implemented through two local partners; Presbyterian Agricultural Station – Garu and PARED working in the Garu Tempane and East Mamprusi Districts respectively. PROMISE will also be implemented in collaboration with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture who will provide technical support to beneficiary communities for soya beans and cowpea production and value chain development. JOB SUMMARY
The Project Officer for PROMISE, the Ghana component of the LINKAGES will be the lead person on the project facilitating the coordination of the implementation of field level activities in the two Project Districts. The Project Officer will also provide technical advice for the field implementation team on sustainable agriculture and Markets, as well as ensure the documentation and dissemination of learning from the field among key actors, and keep them engaged in advocating for increased attention to women and agriculture and the use of models appropriate to particular segments of smallholder farmers.
The Project Officer will report to the Project Manager of the PROMISE Project. He/She will be based in Tamale. Key Responsibilities
• Participate and support in facilitating review and development of implementation plans with field staff, partners and stakeholders.
• Participate in the major field level activities to ensure quality and effectiveness.
• Ensure effective engagement of relevant stakeholders at the district and regional level in the design and execution of project activities.
• Provide technical support and advice to field staff and local NGO partners to facilitate implementation of activities.
• Ensure synergy or project implementation in both districts by ensuring joint planning and sharing of good practices.
• Facilitate and support the documentation of processes and achievements on the different livelihood models for public dissemination e.g draft reports, case studies/MSCs for use in the dissemination of best practices
• Produce other reports as may be required in the project to ensure that all processes and project outcome/results are documented
• Facilitate the implementation of an effective commodity value chain that support the livelihood enhancement and empowerment of farmers particularly women
• As a member of the Promise team, support the strengthening of partnerships and networks established.
• Maintain close cordial contacts with key stakeholders in the project area, particularly selected communities/groups, the District Assembly, MoFA, GHS, DFSNs, local NGOs, research stations, UDS and advocacy networks.
• Collaborate with colleagues, partners and others to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate project activities, so as to ensure the effective and efficient achievement of objectives within the WEP programme. Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum qualification of a university degree, in a relevant discipline such as rural development, community development or agriculture and livelihoods. The candidate must have practical experience in community facilitation and of working with diverse teams.
• S/he must be an experienced and mature officer; capable of working largely independently. He /she will be supervised by a Project Manager. S/he is expected to interact closely with other members of the WEP.
• At least five years of relevant working experience, including a minimum of three years working on community facilitation and capacity building
• Strong experience and knowledge of sustainable livelihoods and commodity value chain approaches
• Strong practical experience in participatory analysis and planning
• Positive experiences working with local and international partners and relationship-building
• Ability to work both independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership. Demonstrated ability to listen to and support programme staff and partners, and to work with communities in a sensitive and participatory
• Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills in English. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders.
• Basic computing skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook. Location:
Tamale How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to:- [email protected] Closing Date:
21 November, 2014
• PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY