In line with the country-specific MOSS, the United Nations system in Ghana created Radio Rooms in Accra and Tamale with the primary responsibility of ensuring the safety and security of all UN staff, dependents and property. The Radio Rooms are designed to operate on 24x7 basis.
The position is fully funded by UN agencies in Ghana through the Cost Shared Security Budget.
The Radio Operator/Driver will provide radio communication/security support to staff and dependents in all UN Agencies. In addition, Radio Operator/Driver will drive UNDSS staff on official assignments as and when required. He/she will be responsible for the maintenance of UNDSS Vehicles
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the immediate supervision of the Security Advisor (SA), the
Radio Operator/Security shall be responsible for the following duties:
• Serving in shift-system at a 24/7 radio room which maintains a radio and telephone communication regime with all UN staff in the Area of Operation;
• When required, he/she will assist police during investigations in all security related incidents involving UN staff.
• Ensure that all communication equipment (i.e. VHF and HF radios, fax mobile and land-line phones) are in perfect working conditions before the start of duty;
• Receive, process, record and pass all security related information to the appropriate quarters through the normal communication channels;
• Inform the Supervisors immediately of any incident/accident;
• Maintain communication link with the security agencies (police and military) with a view to providing the necessary assistance to UN staff members and receiving updated information on security matters;
• Register and forward all e-mail messages and messages deposited during working and off-duty hours;
• Assist with preparation of UN IDS and Access badges when on day shift.
• Accurately identify exact location/grid references of all incident/accidents and pass information to the Supervisors and the police;
• Maintain both electronic and manual register;
• Provide relevant assistance to visiting staff members requiring assistance through radio or telephone channels;
• Brief the incoming duty radio operator on all events, especially pending cases for which action is to be taken;
• Perform radio checks, as directed by the SA / ASC / Local Security Assistant (LSA) and Radio Room Supervisor;
• Keep the SA /ASC / LSA and Radio Room Supervisor informed of any information or incident that could have a bearing on the security of staff and property;
• Drive UNDSS vehicles when instructed by the SA or his assignee
• Responsible for maintenance of UNDSS vehicles
• Perform any other tasks as assigned by the SA / ASC / LSA and Radio Room Supervisor
Qualification Required & Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent. Technical training in communication
• 5 years of experience in driving and radio communication or related field of work for post senior high education
• Professionalism: Very good skills in use of communications equipment;
• Planning and Organizing Very good planning and organizational skills.
• Communication: Very good oral and written skills in English language; ability to provide briefings, forecasts and advice clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; a high sense of discretion and integrity.
• Judgment and Decision Making: High degree of responsibility, initiative, alertness, physical fitness, emotional stability, the ability to prioritize a heavy work load, demonstrates sound judgment in security information management skills.
• Client orientation: Professional attitude and ability to work efficiently under stressful conditions.
• Technological Awareness: Very good knowledge in the operation and procedures of radio communications; high standard of computer literacy.
• Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
• Excellent driving skills;
• Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions, and defensive driving skills;
• Skill in minor vehicle repairs;
• Professional appearance and punctuality;
• Good people skills.
• Fluency in the English
Other Skills Required
• Knowledge of radio communication procedures
• Possession of a valid driver’s license
• Ability to drive long distances
• Ability to travel
• Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
• Physically fit
• Good knowledge of Ghana Road Map
• Knowledge in Vehicle Maintenance is desirable.
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Click Here To Apply Online
03 August, 2018