Our client, the West African Power Pool (WAPP), is an institution established by the mandate of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to, among others, develop a sustainable regional electricity supply system in order to promote the economic growth of the ECOWAS sub region. To achieve this objective, there is the need for WAPP to establish a regional electricity market in West Africa through the appropriate development and implementation of key infrastructure so that all ECOWAS member states are given access to economic energy resources.
Within this framework, the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project. The project involves the construction of approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission lines from Nigeria to Burkina Faso, through Niger, and Benin. As a social mitigation measure, the project also envisages the electrification of rural communities located within a 5 km radius on both sides of the line, as well as the implementation of other environmental and social mitigation measures.
An Implementation Management Unit (IMU) with one central office in Abuja and local offices in the other countries is being established as part of the project’s institutional framework to, among others, assist in the preparation and physical implementation of the North Core project.
Blueprint Consult Company Limited, on behalf of WAPP, is recruiting for the following six (6) key positions of the Implementation Management Unit (IMU) and invites qualified professionals to submit their applications for consideration. Job Title:
Senior Environmental and Health and Safety Specialist Job Summary
• The Senior Environmental and Health and Safety Specialist will lead environmental and health and safety compliance activities, review, in collaboration with regulatory institutions, and implement environmental and health and safety policies and guidelines, monitor the implementation of the Construction Environmental and Social Management Plans (CESMPs), Health and Safety Plans (H&S Plans) and the Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) and reporting on all environmental and health and safety issues relating to the project. The job holder will supervise all field environmental and health and safety officers. Key responsibilities include:
• Facilitate processes for the acquisition of environmental permits and Rights of Way (RoW);
• Review and update environmental and social safeguards and health and safety procedures where required;
• Ensure the preparation and review of Construction Environmental Management Plans, Health and Safety
• Plans and the Resettlement Action Plans and coordinate their implementation;
• Perform work assignments related to environmental and health and safety inspections, compliance, monitoring, regulation, and research Qualification Required & Experience
• Masters degree and above in a relevant field of study such as Environmental Science or Natural Resource Management with at least eight (8) years post-qualification experience as Environmental Specialist for a similar project and 5 years experience in Health and Safety in a similar project OR
• Bachelors degree/HND in Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or other related field
combined with specialized experience of a minimum of fifteen (15) years as Environmental Specialist and 5 years as a Health and Safety Specialist on a similar project, may be considered in lieu of a post graduate degree;
• Knowledge of relevant procedures regulations and legal framework for environmental management and health and safety as well as structure and workings of the Environmental Protection Agencies (EPAs)
• Proven track record in working on projects covering a range of environmental and health and safety issues
• Regional experience in coordinating and working with multi-disciplinary teams and project stakeholders is desirable Skills and competencies
• Demonstrated capacity to lead operational and analytical tasks;
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work in teams, in a multicultural environment and under pressure ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Jobholders for the remaining positions are required to be fluent in French and English. Ability to use relevant computer software (MS Word,Excel, Power Point) as well as the internet is also a key requirement for all positions.
These are full time positions, envisaged for a term of approximately 36 months. Successful candidates will be stationed at the IMU Head Office in Abuja, Nigeria but will be required to make frequent visits to the field offices of the IMU and/or project sites located in any of the following countries: Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina Faso. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates are invited to apply strictly online. Kindly download application forms and complete, clearly indicating the position you are applying for. Click Here To Download Application Form
Please send completed application forms accompanied by an application letter to: [email protected]
or [email protected]
For further enquiries kindly send emails to: [email protected]
or call +233 302 963401 Closing Date:
03 September, 2018