PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
• The Senior Manager for Surface Infrastructure is responsible for overseeing and coordinating all construction activities and plans to ensure Obuasi Project surface infrastructure objectives and milestones are achieved in-line with defined expectations and best for project outcomes.
• This includes managing, overseeing and monitoring all surface new build activities, tailings storage facility (TSF) and other surface infrastructure construction works. Managing the EPCM contractor and subcontractors to ensure works are undertaken in-line with health, safety and environmental obligations, design specifications, quality, Project budget and schedule.
• The position is a key senior leadership team role, and requires extensive multi-disciplined construction experience, outstanding coordination, communication, management and stakeholder engagement skills.
Health, Safety and Environment
• Ensure construction workforce safety targets are achieved.
• Adhere to HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
• Demonstrate behaviour consistent with AGAG’s vision and values. Lead by example at all times to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed to ensure tasks are performed without the risk of injury or harm to themselves, others and the environment.
• Continuously seek learning opportunities to improve safety performance.
• Support the Project Director and Obuasi Management team in all surface infrastructure new build, TSF and other surface infrastructure project construction matters.
• Provide early construction input into the design and constructability process, ensuring safe constructability remains a priority. This includes but not limited to HAZID’s and HAZOP’s, cost and schedule development and ongoing review.
• Key construction representative, manage and lead multi-disciplined project construction functions, with a strong safety, cost, schedule, and quality focus.
• Advise and guide the project team on best practice and fit for purpose construction outcomes.
• Strong understanding of Quality, and HSE management systems.
• Drive and champion the safety-first value and apply the principle into both design and field activities.
• Key interface role, ensuring the effective management and performance of the EPCM services contractor and all other contractor construction activities.
• Ensure contractor’s construction activities meet the approved design specification.
• Proactively manage change to avoid potential project cost and schedule overruns by contractors.
• Actively manage priorities in a dynamic environment, with emphasis on safely, meeting defined budgets and timeframes.
• Ensure construction contractors achieve required HSE standards during construction.
• Communicate accurate and timely construction schedule, progress, cost and quality information.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A Bachelor Degree or equivalent
• Must have 15 to 20+ years project construction experience.
• Minimum of 10+ years as Construction Manager.
• Recent major project delivery experience, preferably within a large blue chip mining or resources environment.
• Multi-disciplined, design, construction and commissioning experience, and have effectively managed large teams. Preferably within an owner’s team environment, with EPCM contractor and or subcontractor management experience.
• Multi-disciplined construction experience.
• Ability to resolve design and construction conflicts.
• Clear understanding of Quality and HSE management systems.
• Exceptional communication skills
• Highly flexible, able to balance competing demands/priorities
• Ability to work within a team environment
• Self-motivated, with the ability to work within multiple project teams with.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
• Manage conflict.
• Able to mentor and coach personnel.
• Defined timeframes and budgets.
• Able to understand importance of regularly monitoring progress and financial status of projects.
• Ability to present to executives and key stakeholders
Plans, Procedures, Standards and Documentation
• Develop and maintain the Construction Management Plan, specifically surface infrastructure new build, TSF and other surface infrastructure project construction activities, as a key sub-plan to the Project Execution Plan.
• Provide input and support into establishing and maintaining the construction Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget, schedule, and construction work packs.
• Oversee the construction Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process.
• Provide input into HSE plan.
• Provide input into crane lift studies.
• Review and input into construction contractor procurement process.
• Ensure compliance with:
• Relevant legislation,
• Applicable codes
• Industry and AGAG standards
• AGAG Quality, HSE and Human Resources (HR) management systems, policies, procedures and processes.
Progress and Performance Reporting
• Monitor progress of construction works, advise status in a timely manner to the management team of any potential cost, schedule or quality variances.
• Monitor (assess, record and feedback) contractor performance in the delivery of project outcomes.
• Review and provide feedback regarding contractor’s progress claims.
• Identify and addressed construction risks early by communicating to appropriate stakeholders.
• Coordinate the construction change management process, including Site Instructions, Variations and or claims.
• Proactively manage change to avoid potential project cost and schedule overruns by contractors
Quality Management, Witness Testing and Inspection
• Inspect works to ensure construction activities are in accordance with engineering designs, contract specifications and authority requirements.
• Oversee, witness inspections and testing regimes to ensure quality and or performance is in-line with the engineering specifications.
• In conjunction with the Commissioning manager develop the commissioning plan.
• Coordinate construction labour and resources (plant and equipment) to support the commissioning process
How To Apply For The Job
Interested Ghanaians with the above qualification and experience should forward their applications, with detailed CV by email to the Human Resources Manager:
06 April, 2018