Kumasi Technical University
Education / Training
Job Vacancy For Vice Chancellor
The Governing Council of the Kumasi Technical University, invites applications from qualified and enterprising persons to fill in the following vacancy: Vice Chancellor
About Kumasi Technical University
Kumasi Technical University is located in the heart of Kumasi, the Garden City of West Africa, and the capital of the Ashanti Region of Ghana. The University was converted from a Polytechnic to a Technical University in September 2016 by an Act of Parliament establishing Technical Universities in Ghana. The University is mandated by the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922), to provide higher education in Engineering, Science and Technology-based disciplines, applied arts and related disciplines, technical and vocational education and training.
The University has 637 staff with diverse background made up of faculty, administrative and other professional officers with a student population of about 11,000 who are enrolled in various academic and professional programmes. The vision of the University is to be a centre of excellence for technological and entrepreneurial development.
The Position of Vice Chancellor
• The Vice Chancellor is the Academic and Executive Head of the University and is responsible, under the Governing Council and in accordance with the Statutes of the University, for organizing and conducting the Academic, Financial and Administrative business of the University.
• The Vice Chancellor is the chief disciplinary officer and has authority over all employees and students of the University, subject to the Statutes and Conditions of Service of the University. The Vice Chancellor is responsible for protecting the integrity of the University's processes.
• The Vice Chancellor is responsible for the promotion of a world-class, high, quality Technical University education and the provision of the necessary academic and administrative leadership.
• The Vice Chancellor shall be responsible for initiating and implementing the Strategic Plan of the University, subject to approval by the Governing Council.
• It shall be the duty of the Vice Chancellor to advise the Governing Council and Academic Board of the University on all matters affecting policy, finance, governance and administration of the university.
• The Vice Chancellor, subject to the approval of the Governing Council, shall have the power to delegate any of the functions assigned by the statutes to Senior Members of the University as deemed appropriate.
Terms of Appointment
vThe Vice Chancellor shall hold office for an initial term of four (4) years. The appointment may be renewed upon application for a further term of up to four (4) years only if that is not beyond the statutory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
• The terms and conditions of appointment shall be determined with the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922) and statutes of Kumasi Technical University.
• The salary and condition of service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those analogous Universities in Ghana.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Must be of unblemished character and have a high degree of personal integrity, be circumspect and above reproach.
• Must be a distinguished and internationally acclaimed scholar, with a minimum academic qualification of PhD or its equivalent in Engineering, Applied Arts or Sciences and must be of Professorial or equivalent rank.
• Must have wide experience and knowledge in tertiary education and industry.
• Must have proven capacity to motivate and manage faculty, staff, students and the University assets.
• Must possess excellent inter-personal and communication skills, be a team player and have the capacity to manage and control crisis.
• Must have proven organizational and leadership skills.
• Must be visionary, business-oriented and able to establish rapport between industry and the university for beneficial purposes.
• Must have capacity to raise funds and other resources for teaching, research and community services.
• Must have a good understanding of the challenges facing the Technical University in particular and tertiary education in Ghana, in general.
How to Apply For the Job
• Candidates are to submit an application letter attached to their curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of 3 referees
• Applicants are to include a short statement of not more than four pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining their vision and strategies for implementation
• Applications may be hand-delivered in a sealed envelope or by registered postage to the Registry of the University. Application may also be submitted using an electronic mail system to reach the address below:
Search committee For Registrar
C/o The Office of the Ag. Registrar
Kumasi Technical University
Or email to:
Closing Date: 11 January, 2019