WASH Specialist – Ghana WA-WASH Location:
Ghana, Upper West Region Reports to:
Winrock Ghana MUS Director DURATION:
1 year START DATE:
January 1st, 2014 POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the direct supervision of the Project Director, the WASH Specialist for the WA-WASH Ghana Multiple-Use Water Services program will assist in all aspects of project execution: field activities, budgets, staff management, and results.
Multiple-Use Services (MUS) is a consumer-oriented approach to water service delivery that takes people’s multiple domestic and productive water needs as the starting point for planning, financing, and managing integrated water services. Existing approaches to water service delivery typically focus on providing water for a single use – for example, drinking or irrigation. MUS has significant advantages over single-use services: it generates greater income, health, and other benefits and enhances sustainability.
Field activities in this project will include support for drilling crews and local welding workshops, promotion and / or implementation of new water points for productive and domestic uses, the organization and training of management committees of water points, and coordination of support activities in horticulture, cash crop agriculture, livestock raising, hygiene promotion, and water-related advocacy. The project may promote cash crops, the organization and support of producers’ cooperatives, microcredit and other related fields. RESPONSIBILITIES:
The WASH Specialist will help oversee all field-based project activities to ensure timely results. The WASH Specialist will manage subcontracts, staff, and relations with donors and will help develop an entrepreneurial vision of development (promotion of services, promotion of equipment) within the team. Qualification Required & Experience
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree, relating to water, rural development, or similar sector
• Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the field of water supply, sanitation and hygiene in Ghana.
• Experience managing donor-funded projects
• Experience in efficiently managing a diverse team Preferred:
• Management experience of hygiene promotion projects
• Management experience of income generation projects based on horticulture or livestock raising
• Management experience supporting the value-chain of low-cost techniques and technologies Skills/Knowledge:
• Strong management, organization, strategy and analysis capacity
• Ability to work with range of partners, including Ghanaian and American government officials, international agency representatives, and donors
• Demonstrated teamwork and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong ethical code and ability to creatively solve problems
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Fluency in English, and some knowledge of French
• Fluency in Upper West Region local languages Location:
Upper West Region How To Apply For The Job
Interested persons should submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to:- [email protected] Closing Date:
03 December, 2013
In the Subject Line, please indicate: MUS Ghana – WASH Specialist
. The position will be open until filled; applications will be reviewed upon receipt. For highest consideration, please submit a detailed resume and cover letter by December 1, 2013.
Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their responses and interest in this posting. However, only applicants who meet listed criteria and are short listed will be contacted. No phone calls please.